Bentley Race Down

www.bentleyrace.com has been down for the past couple days. Anyone know if it is temporary or permanent?

Did I see the owner post on here before?

Re: Bentley Race Down

He does, and i just noticed the same. I’ll email him from here… if i can figure out how.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was stuck at an offsite workshop in Sydney for the past couple of days my site’s server went down. It always seems to be the way that whenever I am travelling trouble sneaks up on me. One of these days Bentleyrace.com is going to grow up and get a serious host! I can do without the stress. I’m told the fix ETA is now 3 hours away (after I reported it 16 hours ago).
Thanks again!

That sounds like terrible support!

i agree, but it’s not JUST terrible support - my server has gone down once in 3 years. ben, if this is a recurring problem, you might want to suggest your host put some monitoring on your server - or try a new host.

True. Downtime can affect your ranking on Google and make affiliates and customers lose confidence.

one url… http://www.national-net.com :slight_smile:

They can handle anything you can throw at them and they will know your site is down before you or anyone else does.

well, they can’t handle giving root access or a control panel :wink:

for those who prefer that control, i couldn’t recommend hosthead.com enough - and caro.net is good stuff, too :slight_smile:

[quote=JUB_Bryce;13122]one url… http://www.national-net.com :slight_smile:

They can handle anything you can throw at them and they will know your site is down before you or anyone else does.[/quote]

[QUOTE=BentleyRace;13112]One of these days Bentleyrace.com is going to grow up and get a serious host! I can do without the stress. I’m told the fix ETA is now 3 hours away (after I reported it 16 hours ago).
Thanks again![/QUOTE]

I agree with, Bryce. You need to hook up with Nat-Net. I’m with ChiliHost, which is now a part of the Nat-Net family, and it was one of the smartest business moves I ever made. If it takes them five minutes to reply to a ticket I start to wonder if something’s wrong … these guys are fast. Do yourself a favour and make the move, they’re definitely the best.

Michael

That reminds me of another well-known host where almost everything had to be done via a support request. I couldn’t believe it. Totally unworkable for me.

[QUOTE=basschick;13124]well, they can’t handle giving root access or a control panel :wink:

for those who prefer that control, i couldn’t recommend hosthead.com enough - and caro.net is good stuff, too :)[/QUOTE]

National Net is the best for support. As far as a control panel, you just don’t need it with National Net. What takes 5 minutes to figure out in a control panel to do, they will already have done with a ticket or phone call. I have not missed a control panel since switching to Nat Net. The techs are my control panel.

As far as root access, you can get a little more access than they allow, but you don’t really need root access with them. If you need them to they will practically re-write the OS if you ask nicely.

Many hosting companies are moving away from giving clients root access on managed servers. If you have root access you can in theory change the PW so even Natnet doesn’t have root access anymore. It’s hard to gaurantee support when they can’t access the server or you have made major modifications to the security and other settings.

IF you server goes down at National Net it will be back up DAMN soon.

I love that button that says “emergency” - this will page all techs.

I also like the fact that when you put in a ticket you don’t have the option to classify it as low, medium, high, etc. They are all handled within 3 min.

That is true lol

But if you are like us and need to swap out your Serveriron FBSLB24+2G, setup redundant memcache servers or create a GlusterFS, then Plesk won’t do you much good, he he. --and that’s just things we had to have them do since Monday, lol.

Nat Net is fully managed, but that does mean they wait on you hand and foot. If you prefer to do things yourself, you’d be better served somewhere with cpanel or plesk I guess.

It can kill customers. I would cancel a site immediately that was down for a day.

[QUOTE=JUB_Bryce;13140]

Nat Net is fully managed, but that does mean they wait on you hand and foot. If you prefer to do things yourself, you’d be better served somewhere with cpanel or plesk I guess.[/QUOTE]

I have grown to despise Cpanel after being w/ national net.

I would never use a host without a cPanel, where I had to ask them to add every domain or turn things on or off. It would be a total pain and completely disrupt the way I like to work on my sites.

natnet is a good host, but so are others, and not everyone has the same requirements from a host. i have found support to be excellent from hosthead, which is why i’ve been there for over 3 years.

Yes some people need more handholding and would probably love support helping them on everything :slight_smile:

Hosthead looks like a good deal and even more so with your good recommendation on support. I’m seeing how NakedHosting goes and so far I’m very happy. Every time I’ve contacted them, the response has been prompt and effective. Haven’t seen any issues. No problems with xxxwebhosting either.

I had six different virtual accounts but have trimmed it down to four this month.

nakedhosting has also been a definite plus for me. we host lucky there, and the support has been good :slight_smile:

[quote=DirtyRatStudios;13152]Yes some people need more handholding and would probably love support helping them on everything :slight_smile:

Hosthead looks like a good deal and even more so with your good recommendation on support. I’m seeing how NakedHosting goes and so far I’m very happy. Every time I’ve contacted them, the response has been prompt and effective. Haven’t seen any issues. No problems with xxxwebhosting either.

I had six different virtual accounts but have trimmed it down to four this month.[/quote]

Hey all,

Thanks for the hosting tips. I will definitely be on the move pretty soon. But for the moment I just want my site back up.

Okay… just to frighten you with the service I have received so far…

1. I’m not exactly sure but I estimate the site has been down for at least 3 days now.
  2. I raised an “Urgent” ticket with the host 34 hours ago.
  3. It was just 4 hours ago that they decided to move me to a new server. I begged them to move the data for me. I’m still not 100% sure they will do it.
  4. I have lost count of the “chat sessions” and phone calls I have made to the host in the US.
  5. All responses have not given me any confidence of a fix happening anytime soon.

I have actually been with this host for over 5 years with very few problems. The problems only started when I moved to a new server and plan 2 months ago. I’m sure everyone one of the hosts you guys have listed will be a dream to work with compared to my recent experience.

As for my loyal members… I will be working my arse off to make it up to them. Just one instance of not being able to reach the site you paid for is unforgiveable!

wow, ben, i’m so sorry you’re going through this. did your support guys tell you what the problem is?