Bentley Race Down

Re: Bentley Race Down

I agree. And CPANEL isnt the only admin panel either. I much prefer Direct Admin (well I do know im used to it. Its a bit different I guess).

Dont forget though you can always get a control panel installed. Im sure Nat Net will install the script for you and you dont have to be a host to license it. My boyfriend brought one for his machine.

I also think Hosthead is great. I went with a cheap starter server when I out grew the virtual and theyve made it so simple as Ive worked up to a decent modern machine. I dont see myself hosting with any other company now as Im so impressed with their service and they are still pretty cheap for me.

Brad and Eli rock imo :slight_smile:

I haven’t asked for the cause of the problem yet. I’m letting the guys get on with setting me up on the new server. Once I’m back up and running I’ll ask for the root cause and what corrective actions will be taken.

My advice would be to get up and running and start shopping arround for a good deal on a stable server.

What they have done is 100% unacceptable. Id have signed up with a new host allready If it were me.

I agree with MarcJacob. The support was poor and they will probably let you down again.

I know it’s more difficult to transfer if you don’t know how to sort out the server yourself. I keep a full copy of my main sites on a second server. So in an emergency I can just switch the nameservers and update the latest files. If there was no reasonable explanation and ETA after a day down I would do that. You’re losing money the whole time and so are your affiliates who may take down links :frowning:

I don’t know what kind of hosting you have. But if you’re on virtual then another server costs just a few Dollars.

Your new host will usually do the transfer for you.

Most hosts will do an rsynch (or equivalent) and spend time on scripts and db’s that need fiddling with.

that’s interesting to me because the first thing i want to know is what the problem is. i have a pretty good idea of what things take, and if you don’t, you can look up what the problem is and find out on various hosting boards how long the issue takes to fix. i discovered years ago that a lot of support people who don’t tell you what’s wrong are often the ones who take their time fixing the problem, so i always start by finding out what’s up.

there’s nothing i’ve ever heard of that should take as long as you’ve been waiting. when we had a harddrive failure it took hosthead like 2 hours to get my backups installed and my sites were back up and running.

btw, ben, does your host run a backup of your site at least once a week?

Hosthead do that nightly for me. Costs $5 a month which is dirt cheap for (as I see it) that level of insurance.

I have even made mistakes with php coding, uploaded it, and had them recover the php script to what it was the day earlier!

yup - me, too. saved my ass when that harddrive died!

[quote=marcjacob;13232]Hosthead do that nightly for me. Costs $5 a month which is dirt cheap for (as I see it) that level of insurance.

I have even made mistakes with php coding, uploaded it, and had them recover the php script to what it was the day earlier![/quote]

Well thankfully the site is back up again today. I’m not sure if they do backups and I do not know what the problem was yet. As a customer I should not need to know what the host does to do to keep my site up and running. I should not have to get involved. To be fair to my host I do feel that I am getting the level of service I paid for and was thankful to the tech guys. I will give it some steady state time now before shifting again.

I prefer to be on the top of every issue that affects my business. It doesn’t mean that every time I have to be a system admin, a coder, a designer, a writes and so on. A downtime is like being locked out to your office. Knowing the reason is always better.

A little example. Two years ago or so I was hosted with a company that used to offer CPanel. I asked for a daily backup. Once a day my server was fucking slow and several times we had to restart it. Asking about the cause of the problem I got that CPanel was slowing down everything during backup operation. I learnt that CPanel is the devil so I avoided CPanel and now my life is better :smiley:

I have to agree with everyone else, the length of downtime is completely unacceptable.

glad to see you’re up and running again.