Banner Workshop

Re: Banner Workshop

Okay my third attempt at this one.

out of curiosity, why the large single quote?

[quote=Gaystoryman;46366]Okay my third attempt at this one.

[/quote]

I have no idea really, figured it looked better than having two? or simply forgot to add another, mind you it was a bitch to find that style of quote.

This is one with both quotes

any better?

My 2 cents on the quote… just the stark contrast from black to white really doesn’t stand out as much. Just like most novels have a very exciting cover to attract some attention on the shelf. What about a layer behind the quote… like a book on a bed slightly blurred or watermarked light to add some “realism” and depth to the color pallette. Even a sexy blurred photo of 2 hot guys… as if a “cover” to the book.

Also, if it’s a quote about meeting up in a lockerroom… find a photo of rows of lockers to watermark behind… set the mood more, than just text :slight_smile:

you’re missing the point - the way craig did it, it’s a blind banner. they always get more clicks than other banners.

[quote=realmenrealhot;46387]My 2 cents on the quote… just the stark contrast from black to white really doesn’t stand out as much. Just like most novels have a very exciting cover to attract some attention on the shelf. What about a layer behind the quote… like a book on a bed slightly blurred or watermarked light to add some “realism” and depth to the color pallette. Even a sexy blurred photo of 2 hot guys… as if a “cover” to the book.

Also, if it’s a quote about meeting up in a lockerroom… find a photo of rows of lockers to watermark behind… set the mood more, than just text :)[/quote]

I was actually responding to the banner above his. When I posted my response, Craig’s got their first. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, so now is everyone saying to drop the quote marks too? To just have a sort of justified text, with a simple ‘read more’ ?

man this is confusing :bang:

All this layering, blurring, so how about some tips on HOW TO? whistle

I’m sorry I suggested the quotes in the first place, here’s a towel for your bloody head.

Michael

Pretty simple. What do you think? The red background doesn’t have to stay. Using the colours of the Union Jack I still have a choice of blue and/or white.

i’m not saying drop the quotes necessarily… i’m saying i don’t get having one quote.

if you want to get the most clicks, the way craig did it will probably work a little better but may confuse the newbs who expect to find only the rest of the story. also depending on how/where you use it, a blind banner is not always allowed.

[quote=Gaystoryman;46426]Okay, so now is everyone saying to drop the quote marks too? To just have a sort of justified text, with a simple ‘read more’ ?

man this is confusing :bang:

All this layering, blurring, so how about some tips on HOW TO? whistle[/quote]

simple, to the point - which is good - but hard to read, which isn’t. on the other hand, i believe it is the same font as on the site?

[quote=Jeff@UKScallyLads;46465]

Pretty simple. What do you think? The red background doesn’t have to stay. Using the colours of the Union Jack I still have a choice of blue and/or white.[/quote]

[QUOTE=basschick;46466]

simple, to the point - which is good - but hard to read, which isn’t. on the other hand, i believe it is the same font as on the site?[/QUOTE]

Yes that’s the UKScallyLads trademark font. The “CLICK HERE” is predominant enough I think, but I agree on the description now that I look at it again. I’ll see if I can’t use one of their other fonts or something common like arial etc. Thanks!

Better? Or should the text be white still? Is it the UKSL font that you find hard to read, or the color of the text?

[QUOTE=Jeff@UKScallyLads;46469]Better? Or should the text be white still? Is it the UKSL font that you find hard to read, or the color of the text?

[/QUOTE]

That is certainly more readable … and I wouldn’t flip back to white unless you outline it in black or use a slight glow and or shadow to help pull it off the red.

Thanks for the feedback Bec. Nice to hear it’s more legible now. I’m going to mess with the image borders a bit and see what I can come up with. The inner glow is ok, but I’m not liking how it blends into a white background.

Thoughts? Thanks

You need a comma after scallies. Scallies and Chavs are two kinds of guys, aren’t they?

I’d also try a red outline around the rest of the banner, the images just seem to float away.

One other thing. I know it’s their trademark, but I wonder about using the British localisms. I haven’t any idea what a Scally, Chav or a Rudeboy is (actually I do because marcjacob told me), but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like them when I see them. However, I might not click your banner if I lived in Alabama and had my credit card sitting beside the computer.

Michael

[QUOTE=dzinerbear;46516]You need a comma after scallies. Scallies and Chavs are two kinds of guys, aren’t they?

I’d also try a red outline around the rest of the banner, the images just seem to float away.

One other thing. I know it’s their trademark, but I wonder about using the British localisms. I haven’t any idea what a Scally, Chav or a Rudeboy is (actually I do because marcjacob told me), but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like them when I see them. However, I might not click your banner if I lived in Alabama and had my credit card sitting beside the computer.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ok the comma is a good idea. I find them cumbersome in banners but it IS good grammar. LOL.

The red outline could look good. I’ll take a stab at it.

As far as the British localism, the majority of sales to UKScallyLads is from the UK. However, we’re trying to change that as there are many other continents and countries on the planet. LOL. For replacement terms - “White Trash”?, “Punks” ? I do not know. “Nasty Boys” could work and I’ve used that in some of my own blog posts and free sites.

Thanks Michael.

i wouldn’t use the plain black font without a white glow - it’s a bit harder to see. i actually preferred the white letters, although not the font.

and i guess this is where i can’t decide. on the one hand, guys looking for scallies, rude boys and chavs will find the banner text catches their eye. on the other hand, i never heard of a scally or chav till maybe 2 1/2 years ago - and only because i was reviewing a site. you could always go with UK bad boys instead maybe:

UK Bad Boys
Scallies, Chavs & Rude Boys.
or perhaps
Amateur UK Bad Boys
but that would take more fitting in…

So anyone still wanting banner help?

Stumbled over these two tutorials about layering, so thought I’d share!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165856/layers_101_improve_your_photos_by_editing_with_layers.html

the follow up is here

http://tech.msn.com/guides/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=20603730&GT1=40000