Banner Workshop

I thought we could each do 3 static banners for starters - the sizes I’m thinking of would be 468x100, 120x400 and 200x250. Let’s start by making sure everyone can make the blanks. For those who can’t make the blanks, or just aren’t in the mood, here they are - just right click and download, or do whatever mac users have to do download 'em:

The banners should be for one of your own sites - a blog, paysite, link list or whatever you like, and in the case of any content you use you must be the owner or license holder for the content. Let me know who’s in - we can all start off with the 468x100 one. If you need ideas or help, please post and we’ll help out :slight_smile:

Re: Banner Workshop

Okay I am in, so we set up blanks, black?

you can just download these or make your own. if you make your own, they don’t have to be black, btw.

Okay, I shall make my own, after all, the only way to learn it right, best do it all, until I goof up that is lol

Maybe I’m missing something.

Is there be an XYZ company for reason of Example to build the banners around?

As it sits, I am assuming that the only task here is opening an image editor, setting the size and filling the space with black. (If you didn’t pre-select black as the background option when setting the image size.)

Or, You are asking people to freely build random banners for sites they have/promote.

I’m more than willing to join this workshop but I’m not willing to build banners for a working company so people can freely download what they would otherwise pay for.

added to the original post, the banners should be for one of your own sites - or more than one. any kind of site, but your own.

[quote=Craig;46175]Maybe I’m missing something.

Is there be an XYZ company for reason of Example to build the banners around?

As it sits, I am assuming that the only task here is opening an image editor, setting the size and filling the space with black. (If you didn’t pre-select black as the background option when setting the image size.)

Or, You are asking people to freely build random banners for sites they have/promote.

I’m more than willing to join this workshop but I’m not willing to build banners for a working company so people can freely download what they would otherwise pay for.[/quote]

Can we sticky this thread until we have done?

Made the blank

Are we suposed to continue or wait for additional instructions?

feel free to start and get a critique, but i’d like to see a call to action on each banner - something that tells the surfer to click. and try and keep a layered version of the banner as well a copy in jpg or gif format.

my first attempt is simple, with no call to action

my second attempt sort of sucks

it turned out to be a poor font choice and the text isn’t laid out very attractively… so i have to think of a better concept or a better font or both. i could also drop the logo and simply say CLICK FOR MUSCLE. thoughts?

Layered version? Is that png or psd format?

i only work in photoshop, so i use psd’s. if you don’t know how to work with layers, you could save each step so that if you want to make changes, you don’t have to make the banners from scratch.

I like the “Click For Muscle” idea.
Some affiliates have asked for more banners without the URL or site name to make surfers click through rather than typing the URL.

[QUOTE=basschick;46197]my first attempt is simple, with no call to action

my second attempt sort of sucks

it turned out to be a poor font choice and the text isn’t laid out very attractively… so i have to think of a better concept or a better font or both. i could also drop the logo and simply say CLICK FOR MUSCLE. thoughts?[/QUOTE]

on the other hand, there’s the toss up between clicks and branding. still, i admit i’ve always preferred clicks.

[quote=Paul;46204]I like the “Click For Muscle” idea.
Some affiliates have asked for more banners without the URL or site name to make surfers click through rather than typing the URL.[/quote]

Okay I am gonna play the newbie here. whistle

I guess that it isn’t just the mechanics, but how one arrives at decisions that makes a great banner, vs a rotten one.

So how do you choose your colors for background?

How about the font? and size? What are the basics here, is there a few fonts that one should never use, while others that are best to use? Same for sizes?

Then how much text do you want on a banner, other than what you’ve shown Basschick?

What about the pics themselves… what size is the original that allows you to shrink em down to a respectable size, without loss of definition?

Picking the photo’s to use, what criteria are you basing it on? I mean do you automatically go for frontal nude shots, dick shots, cum shots, or ass shots? what about faces, or teasing type photos?

I mean it isn’t just about slapping a few resized pics and then some ‘click here’ words, is it?

Not very original but it’s a first pass.
This is for a new blog I’ve recently started working on.

Paul,

I’d work on getting those photos a little clearer, try “auto contrast” in Photoshop followed by “sharpen.” Those pics are pretty fuzzy and may be sending an unwanted message to the surfer about the quality of your content.

You may have to opt for not showing face & torso in order to get a clearer photo. Or maybe try three guys only to get bigger thumbs.

Also, I have a problem with the word “man” in this case. I realize that technically speaking we become men at 18 years, but I would call these five guys “guys” not “men.”

The “now” part of the message don’t really say very much. Maybe you could replace the “now” with some text in a smaller font, something like: “Watch horny amateurs getting off!”

On a positive note, I think the redhead message is a good one. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but it’ll really catch the attention of guys looking for redheads. And fans will appreciate that there are at least five of them grouped together on your site. I envision a whole series of niche banners like this: black guys, Latino guys, hairy guys, tattooed guys … whatever. Could be a nice campaign for you.

Cheers
Michael

i either use the colors of the site the banner is for or else i tend toward a neutral color. i don’t have the graphics skills to get more complex.

How about the font? and size? What are the basics here, is there a few fonts that one should never use, while others that are best to use? Same for sizes?

there are no fonts that should never be used - i’ve seen skilled designers make great banners using fonts that would look terrible if i used them. that being said, those of us who aren’t skilled designers should stay away from skinny fonts, hard to read fonts, overstylized fonts and fonts like times new roman.

Then how much text do you want on a banner, other than what you’ve shown Basschick?

partly this depends on the skill of the designer, but it also depends on whether the banner is static or animated but it really depends on the size/shape of the banner. look here http://www.s2odesigns.com/?do=banners.htm

the first banner has lots of text for a banner, but on the other hand, very little skin. still, it does have important messages for those who are potential visitors to that site. but scroll down to the first of the square banners and the last banner on the page. which one do you feel gets the most important messages across that surfers will notice?

What about the pics themselves… what size is the original that allows you to shrink em down to a respectable size, without loss of definition?

i’ve used some fairly crappy pics for buttons and banners 100 pixels or less tall.

[B]Picking the photo’s to use, what criteria are you basing it on? I mean do you automatically go for frontal nude shots, dick shots, cum shots, or ass shots? what about faces, or teasing type photos?

I mean it isn’t just about slapping a few resized pics and then some ‘click here’ words, is it? [/B]

well, good pics are important, but we’ve done great with blind banners and also banners that almost said nothing but click here. of course, that was about photo choice.

picking the best possible photos is important for paysites AND banners alike. but what pics are best may depend on what you’re doing. for almost any site, showing models who either best represent your niche/site or who are the best looking is important. for a muscle site, showing muscle is the most important thing. on the other hand, you want well-lit pics - pics with shadows are a big no-no. dim pics should be fixed or not used.

[quote=Gaystoryman;46211]Okay I am gonna play the newbie here. whistle

I guess that it isn’t just the mechanics, but how one arrives at decisions that makes a great banner, vs a rotten one.

Picking the photo’s to use, what criteria are you basing it on? I mean do you automatically go for frontal nude shots, dick shots, cum shots, or ass shots? what about faces, or teasing type photos?

I mean it isn’t just about slapping a few resized pics and then some ‘click here’ words, is it?[/quote]

the red isn’t a bad color and all and the guys are all redheads. obviously big pluses.

i don’t care for the thumbs here because half the cocks are cut off. i’d rather see some closer shots that don’t show cocks than the cocks cut like that. also i don’t think saying NOW will make anyone click - i’ve done tons of testing, and telling surfers to click tends to send more than double the hits.

[quote=Paul;46213]Not very original but it’s a first pass.
This is for a new blog I’ve recently started working on.
[/quote]

Patti,

I think the choice of pics is pretty good. They show a variety of muscle and workout poses.

I’m not fond of the first thumb’s background colour, I find the teal isn’t very masculine. But I’m really being super picky here. I might have looked for another picture shot on the same background as the other two.

I think the black area is a bit of wasted space and opportunity. Simply just saying “Man of Muscle” isn’t a great use of the space. I’ll suggest the same thing I did for Paul: I’d perhaps add a line of smaller text: “Watch Huge Muscle Men Pumping Iron!”

I’m not loving the Men Of Muscle font, but I don’t completely hate it either. But I’m not fond of the red “o,” I find it kind of disappears. There’s a feeling of motion in the font and I kind of like that.

I also like that you’ve picked photos where we’re not completely seeing the guy’s face. This focuses the attention on the muscle aspect. If I know you, I suspect this was completely intentional on your part … good eye!

Michael