Banner Workshop

Re: Banner Workshop

[QUOTE=Bec;46312]If you’re trying to produce a nice black and white image, you still need to give it some “contrast” after reversing it. That is so flat colorwise you can’t really see what the images are.

Something all of you can play around with, is adding a 2nd layer to your text to push it up off the page and give it some depth.

1. do your line of text
  2. copy/paste that line of text - both copies are in the identical same space, one on top of the other
  3. carefully select the original text (the layer on the bottom) and change its color. Go bright red for the moment so you can see the effect of what you do next.
  4. while the red text is selected, use your arrow keys to move the font block two spaces to the right, and two spaces down.

Once you see what this does to your text, you’ll have a better idea of what color the under layer color should be.[/QUOTE]

After erasing and shaping some of the edges that overlap on the layers I managed to get it smoother.
Adjusted the contrast also… and got shot of that foggy look…
Played with a second text layer also, thats an interesting one I will have to remember… Decided to go with a slight outerglow though in this case…
Its looking to me at least much cleaner now than it did thanks Bec :slight_smile:

Basschick : Yes your quite right in your assumption it is a header graphic that I made for the site, That I am doing a banner of it for a small gallery post and well also as a standard banner for exchanges and stuff…

So yes this version does need some sort of call to action text on it I will have to think about.

i think it may also need a very thin white or colored border around the letters so they stand out more.

[quote=Andyr;46315]After erasing and shaping some of the edges that overlap on the layers I managed to get it smoother.
Played with a second text layer also, thats an interesting one I will have to remember… Decided to go with a slight outerglow though in this case…
Its looking to me at least much cleaner now than it did thanks Bec :slight_smile:

Basschick : Yes your quite right in your assumption it is a header graphic that I made for the site, That I am doing a banner of it for a small gallery post and well also as a standard banner for exchanges and stuff…

So yes this version does need some sort of call to action text on it I will have to think about.[/quote]

I take it affiliate managers can get in on this correct? I have permission to use any of UKScallyLads images for promotional purposes.

Let me know and I’ll get on it. I needed to create some new ones anyway. lol

[QUOTE=Jeff@UKScallyLads;46335]I take it affiliate managers can get in on this correct? I have permission to use any of UKScallyLads images for promotional purposes.

Let me know and I’ll get on it. I needed to create some new ones anyway. lol[/QUOTE]

The more the merrier … jump on in :slight_smile:

Cool!

Make a few with Shayne if you think of it.
Especially the 120x400 and 200x250 size. I’ll use them on my redhead blog straight away.

[QUOTE=Jeff@UKScallyLads;46335]I take it affiliate managers can get in on this correct? I have permission to use any of UKScallyLads images for promotional purposes.

Let me know and I’ll get on it. I needed to create some new ones anyway. lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Andyr;46315]After erasing and shaping some of the edges that overlap on the layers I managed to get it smoother.

So yes this version does need some sort of call to action text on it I will have to think about.[/QUOTE]

Do we get to see the revision?

[QUOTE=Paul;46343]Make a few with Shayne if you think of it.
Especially the 120x400 and 200x250 size. I’ll use them on my redhead blog straight away.[/QUOTE]

Sure Paul, I can do up one with Shayne on it. I’ll get on these tomorrow I think. Put aside some time. Oh darn, I answered as the wrong person. You see what happens when you have dual personalities? LOL!!

Okay my third attempt at this one.

out of curiosity, why the large single quote?

[quote=Gaystoryman;46366]Okay my third attempt at this one.

[/quote]

I have no idea really, figured it looked better than having two? or simply forgot to add another, mind you it was a bitch to find that style of quote.

This is one with both quotes

any better?

My 2 cents on the quote… just the stark contrast from black to white really doesn’t stand out as much. Just like most novels have a very exciting cover to attract some attention on the shelf. What about a layer behind the quote… like a book on a bed slightly blurred or watermarked light to add some “realism” and depth to the color pallette. Even a sexy blurred photo of 2 hot guys… as if a “cover” to the book.

Also, if it’s a quote about meeting up in a lockerroom… find a photo of rows of lockers to watermark behind… set the mood more, than just text :slight_smile:

you’re missing the point - the way craig did it, it’s a blind banner. they always get more clicks than other banners.

[quote=realmenrealhot;46387]My 2 cents on the quote… just the stark contrast from black to white really doesn’t stand out as much. Just like most novels have a very exciting cover to attract some attention on the shelf. What about a layer behind the quote… like a book on a bed slightly blurred or watermarked light to add some “realism” and depth to the color pallette. Even a sexy blurred photo of 2 hot guys… as if a “cover” to the book.

Also, if it’s a quote about meeting up in a lockerroom… find a photo of rows of lockers to watermark behind… set the mood more, than just text :)[/quote]

I was actually responding to the banner above his. When I posted my response, Craig’s got their first. Sorry for the confusion.

Okay, so now is everyone saying to drop the quote marks too? To just have a sort of justified text, with a simple ‘read more’ ?

man this is confusing :bang:

All this layering, blurring, so how about some tips on HOW TO? whistle

I’m sorry I suggested the quotes in the first place, here’s a towel for your bloody head.

Michael

Pretty simple. What do you think? The red background doesn’t have to stay. Using the colours of the Union Jack I still have a choice of blue and/or white.

i’m not saying drop the quotes necessarily… i’m saying i don’t get having one quote.

if you want to get the most clicks, the way craig did it will probably work a little better but may confuse the newbs who expect to find only the rest of the story. also depending on how/where you use it, a blind banner is not always allowed.

[quote=Gaystoryman;46426]Okay, so now is everyone saying to drop the quote marks too? To just have a sort of justified text, with a simple ‘read more’ ?

man this is confusing :bang:

All this layering, blurring, so how about some tips on HOW TO? whistle[/quote]

simple, to the point - which is good - but hard to read, which isn’t. on the other hand, i believe it is the same font as on the site?

[quote=Jeff@UKScallyLads;46465]

Pretty simple. What do you think? The red background doesn’t have to stay. Using the colours of the Union Jack I still have a choice of blue and/or white.[/quote]

[QUOTE=basschick;46466]

simple, to the point - which is good - but hard to read, which isn’t. on the other hand, i believe it is the same font as on the site?[/QUOTE]

Yes that’s the UKScallyLads trademark font. The “CLICK HERE” is predominant enough I think, but I agree on the description now that I look at it again. I’ll see if I can’t use one of their other fonts or something common like arial etc. Thanks!