AEBN Affiliates - What Do You Think of the Changes to the Affiliate Program?

I received this email on Monday. My first impression is that it sounds potentially a better deal. My commissions with AEBN are not what they used to be, and when I compare them to Maleflixx - to which I send far fewer signups buy make more mysterious money - I’m puzzled.

What do you guys think?

After nearly sixteen years, AEBN is pleased to announce a much needed re-boot of our affiliate program beginning February 1, 2015. Continuing our uniquely competitive history, the program will be changing affiliate payouts so a greater percentage of sales will be given to the last affiliate sending the sale and not the first.

The most active affiliates in our program will be highly rewarded with payouts from 30 to 50%. Now, new affiliates will be given the same opportunity as established affiliates to receive credit for a sale. Those affiliates no longer generating sales on their theaters will see proportionate results.

We’re also happy to offer a new white label version of our mobile targeted theater. It’s a new and relevant environment built with your logos and colors designed to help increase conversions of phone and tablet users.

No changing affiliate links or revenue codes will be necessary as those will all still work. We are placing more emphasis on branded white label theaters and it is strongly recommended affiliates take full advantage of them. The sales volume and retention on branded theaters is greater than generic non-branded theaters. The more sales a theater generates, the greater percentage of the sale the affiliate keeps.

Thoughts?

Steve

Re: AEBN Affiliates - What Do You Think of the Changes to the Affiliate Program?

Attaching surfers to the originated webmaster was always the thing that held me back from pushing these guys harder. There just wasn’t a big incentive. I’m glad they’ve headed in this direction, but they really should have done years ago when we will all asking.

Re: AEBN Affiliates - What Do You Think of the Changes to the Affiliate Program?

Not sure whether the changes will help or hurt. I’ve made 1,600+ sales over the years on AEBN. Given their old model of whoever makes the first sale gets the commission for life, I should be making good money, BUT I’ve made less than $10,000 in all that time and with all those sales. Just $6.16/sale. With just one of the PPV Networks VOD sites I’ve made over $10,000 on just 188 sales – $53/sale. Why am earning 8.6x more per sale with PPV than AEBN? They’re both VOD, often with many of the same titles. If anything the PPV sites have fewer titles and should make less money.

IMHO, AEBN is horribly broken. I guess it can’t get worse, but I’m not sure the changes address the fundamental problem that people just don’t spend money on AEBN like they do on other VOD sites. I would think figuring that out would be the top priority, but what do I know?

who knows - it could help, but i’m not a fan of white label theaters. over the years i did so much better with paysites that i just didn’t bother with PPV.

It sucks. Hard.

Over the weekend I had $10 on my account. I now have $0, no signups. Yesterday after the new system went live they were at least giving me credit for 3 signups with a piddly $1.48 payout. But now those 3 signups are gone. So they’ve stopped giving credit for stuff they used to pay for?

This is bullshit.

They could use some better clarification. Has anyone received a follow up email explaining what happened to affiliates?

I’ve had signups and sales. It’s actually nice to finally see transactions broken down, and additional information added like geo location added. Some of this is simple communication issues - for example, what is “Ownership Payout” ? Why do a few transactions pay 3% commission, instead of 30%?

We’re only three days in to the month, so it’s probably best to wait and see a few weeks before we can adequately measure the changes.

Steve

I understand what AEBN claims they are trying to do by leveling the paying field. What I don’t think is fair is for AEBN to take my commission away from me when a customer of mine ends up at their in house theater instead of mine for whatever reason.

If they visit desslock’s and make a purchase, fine give desslock the credit but if they go to aebn.net, I’m sorry give the money to the affiliate who enlightened them on who AEBN is in the first place. It certainly shouldn’t be put into the pocket of AEBN.

I’ve been promoting AEBN for nearly 12 years… Any customer I sent AEBN was suppose to be mine for life. That was their sales pitch from the get go and that was the key factor that made me promote them. Taking money out of my pocket to put into others just doesn’t settle well with me… I have the sneaky suspicion that most this is going back into AEBN’s pocket and not onto other affiliates as they are trying to sell it.

Even if you’re using a white label don’t you think the customer in the end knows it’s AEBN? Either via email communications or credit card charges or the fact that AEBN is mentioned all throughout the white label help section, mobile pages or Roku? At some point they are going to forget about your site and just Google AEBN… Bye Bye to that commission, it’s all going into AEBN’s pocket now.

Sincerely,
Kevin.

The thing is I’ve had sales disappear. As of Tuesday morning I had four. By Tuesday afternoon when this new system went live that got knocked down to three. Now it’s zero. WTF?

In the “mainstream” affiliate world, the way this is handled is affiliate programs use a tracking cookie and the referring affiliate is credited for x number of sales for a specified period of time.

Steve

Reading AEBN’s Terms and Conditions ---- this looks to me like they are paying you the commission rate on a sales from your referral for 60 days. Am I correct in reading this?

-Steve

2.2 Referral Fees. Subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement, for each person who becomes a paid subscriber to a Program Website or who becomes a paid subscriber to Your white label Theater, and who has been tracked and verified by the Company as a Referral to a Program Website from Your Website(s), You will receive a Sales Commission on Net Sales in accordance with the Commission Payout Disclosure as published in Your private Affiliate Administration panel, which is calculated using the tier rate applicable at the time of sale. Net Sales for Referrals are defined as Gross Sales less payment processing fees, refunds and chargebacks.

Should You promote any white label Theater located on Your own URLs, You will be considered the Referral source for all sales occurring on such Theaters. Should You promote Program Websites, all customers You refer to such Program Sites with a valid affiliate referral code will be tagged with a 60 day referral cookie each time Your referral code is detected in a session. If such referred user makes a purchase or otherwise returns to any Program Sites via direct load (without being referred by any other affiliate) and makes a purchase within the 60 day period, the referral cookie will be read at the time of purchase in order to determine the appropriate referral source.

In addition to any Referral Fees You may earn in a month, a Customer Origination Fee will be paid to You if You are the affiliate who originated any customer who originally subscribes to a Program Website or who originally subscribes to Your white label Theater, and who is subsequently referred to a Program Website by another, unrelated affiliate, after expiration or termination of the referral cookie, for as long as the customer is considered active by Company. The Customer Origination Fee shall be published in Your private Affiliate Administration panel and is calculated at the end of each calendar month for sales transactions executed within such month.

[QUOTE=desslock;156345]Reading AEBN’s Terms and Conditions ---- this looks to me like they are paying you the commission rate on a sales from your referral for 60 days. Am I correct in reading this?

-Steve[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter?

You missed the most important part of the Terms and Conditions:

The Company may, in its sole discretion, modify the terms of this Agreement upon thirty (30) days notice by email, facsimile or by posting such changes on the website on which this document is accessible or on any other Program Web Site as that term is defined below.

Kevin.

[QUOTE=desslock;156344]In the “mainstream” affiliate world, the way this is handled is affiliate programs use a tracking cookie and the referring affiliate is credited for x number of sales for a specified period of time.

Steve[/QUOTE]

The mainstream affiliate world pays much higher than 30%…

You pay me $35PPS you can do whatever you want with that customer afterwords. You want me to promote your company yet only pay me 30% you need to toss in an incentive and that’s where the 30% for the life of the customer came from.

Kevin.

What exactly is an “Ownership Payout”, and why is mine negative? I owe them money? Seriously?

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 6.08.59 AM.jpg

I have no idea what “Ownership Payout” means, but this is what mine is showing:

I would also like to find out what the answer is and I look forward to hearing more.

aebn-grab.jpg

[QUOTE=rawTOP;156354]What exactly is an “Ownership Payout”, and why is mine negative? I owe them money? Seriously?

[/QUOTE]

Surely you can’t owe them money, unless they are subtracting an amount they are paying to another affiliate as they “subscribed” the customer?

My “Sale Payout” and “Ownership Payout” were the same amount – $1.48 – when I first logged in under the new system a few days ago. My “Sale Count” was 3 at the time. If memory serves, 3% of those sales came to $1.48. But then those three sales magically disappeared. Chalk it up to modified terms I guess. Now I have 0 sales with a $0 Sale Payout. But my “Ownership Payout” is now $1.96.

Whoo-hoo!

Or not.

They’ll probably just dangle that extra 48 cents in front of my face just so they an yank it away.

Does anyone know of any alternatives for AEBN that perform half way decent?

Day 4 and I’ve earned $3 bucks so far… I don’t foresee that getting anywhere near the $400 - $500 bucks I used to make every month… I’ve already sent them 22 “Free Signups” and 4,700 sessions in 4 days.

Thanks,
Kevin.

It’s almost funny how horribly AEBN and Sureflix do compared to a regular paysite. But the fault is not VOD. VOD can do really well. My top grossing site is rawTOP.tv which is a hybrid VOD site (hybrid = you can get monthly packages that rebill like a regular paysite). I do something like 8 times better in terms of $$/click with RTV than I do with AEBN.

If you have bareback traffic rawTOP.tv does have an affiliate program. Just ask Damian @ PPV Networks to enable the site on your account. (If you don’t already have an account with him you probably don’t do much bareback, or you’re a small affiliate who PPV isn’t all that interested in). But don’t expect quick results. The members are members for a long time – there’s really no need to cancel – they can just drop down to the free membership option which means long-term engagement with the customer. Over time that means it has a high $$/sale, but it takes a while to get there (give it 6 months to a year). Thing is I’ve been doing AEBN for MANY years and never gotten to the point where it was making decent money.

Oh, and PPV has some pretty decent affiliate tools, but in some cases you gotta ask to get them.

Thanks, rawTOP, I will keep that in mind… Was looking for something more along the size of AEBN though as in their vast library.

[QUOTE=rawTOP;156354]What exactly is an “Ownership Payout”, and why is mine negative? I owe them money? Seriously?

[/QUOTE]
I don’t have that field on mine