Yahoo is now bigger than Google (again)

WebProNews wrote an article about how Yahoo managed to become the number 1 web property again. I am surprised, especially since Tumblr’s stats are not even included yet.

http://www.webpronews.com/yahoo-is-bigger-than-google-and-that-should-mean-something-to-your-business-2013-08

Note: this is based on US figures only

yahoo-takes-one.jpg

Re: Yahoo is now bigger than Google (again)

Well that is only US traffic. Globally I’m quite sure Google is #1.

Also, it doesn’t include mobile traffic, where Google gets an additional boost due to Android.

And finally - being #1 in traffic means nothing to be honest. How many of us use Yahoo! products? In comparison, how many of us use Google.com? Youtube? Gmail is also greater than Yahoo Mail.

In my opinion its like comparing a huge tube site to a premium store. The tube will always have more traffic but its the store that has more revenue, more profit and more retention.

I am sure they are. Yahoo has never been very big in Europe.

I know and that’s why I am surprised.

Don’t count Yahoo out on mobile just yet. Marissa Mayer is buying mobile companies at a lightning pace. Yahoo could be an amazing turnaround story.

Also, those metrics don’t include Tumblr. Rumors are flying in the investment community that Yahoo is making another big acquisition.

Lloyd

Stupid question maybe, but what does people use Yahoo for?

Mail and News usually.

[QUOTE=andreiDL;139536]Well that is only US traffic. Globally I’m quite sure Google is #1.

Also, it doesn’t include mobile traffic, where Google gets an additional boost due to Android.

And finally - being #1 in traffic means nothing to be honest. How many of us use Yahoo! products? In comparison, how many of us use Google.com? Youtube? Gmail is also greater than Yahoo Mail.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, the fact that this doesn’t include the stats for the fast growing mobile market is an important omission, in my opinion.

There are often methods of presenting data in a positive way when it’s really not very remarkable at all. They’ve done exactly that, limiting it to US traffic, not including mobile stats etc. It’s like a weatherman saying it’s the hottest day since 1995, for a Tuesday, with the Moon in third quarter… pretty meaningless in the bigger scheme of things.

Still, I do expect to see some positive changes, with Google losing trust thanks to the NSA scandal, and the work being done by the ex-Google boss to turn Yahoo around. She’s obviously working damn hard to do it, and with Yahoo being the “lesser of several evils” recently it could really give it a boost.

Still far too early to start celebrating the end of Google’s dominance though, sadly. I think we’ll have to wait another couple of years for that to actually transpire.

A lot of baby boomers are using yahoo.

I use Yahoo all the time. In fact I do a lot of searches through Yahoo as well. The new Yahoo home page is actually pretty good at delivering the information that you are interested in.

Keep in mind Yahoo Finance is probably the leading finance site on the net.

[QUOTE=abostonboy;139596]I use Yahoo all the time. In fact I do a lot of searches through Yahoo as well. The new Yahoo home page is actually pretty good at delivering the information that you are interested in.

Keep in mind Yahoo Finance is probably the leading finance site on the net.[/QUOTE]

I found the site quite old fashion looking and messy. Didn’t look much indepth though. Funny enough the one thing I do use Yahoo for is their currency converter but only because I bookmarked it years and years ago.

I watched a Yahoo big wig interviewed at South By Southwest Interactive last year. I don’t know if that guy is still there, but taking everything he said then combined with everything I’ve read about Marissa Mayer, here’s my $100,000 speculation bet ---- I think Yahoo wants to evolve in to an entertainment production business. I don’t know what they are going to do with Tumblr. But I could see them buying a company like Tivo or Roku (picking simply as wild examples) - and start offering special programming like exclusive sports, the Super Bowl, the Olympics. Integrating more of everything people do on the internet into “television channels”.

There was a story in the WSJ the other day speculating on whether the Olympics people are starting to think twice about exclusively signing all broadcasting to an old fashioned broadcaster like NBC, because now the Olympics could be watched by more people on YouTube/Google, Inc.

So how will Yahoo accomplish this? Well — what would Marissa Meyer do? Listen to what they are saying - they really want to move away from being a distribution platform, and more of a producer, an owner.

They probably won’t copy Google, not waste time playing catch up. She’s going to seek to accomplish it by out-innovating them.

Who knows… we’ll see…

Steve