WP Media Upload HTTP error

I have this theme that I really love as it makes WP much more user friendly for building galleries but I have encounter an error when I upload say…100 jpg images at once, the error is “HTTP error”. There was not problem sending files via FTP.

I would have thought that when you upload media that the ftp built into WP would be smart enough to simply send files one at a time BUT it seems that when you select 100 files that it tries to send them all at once and share the bandwidth? I am not sure? Perhaps it is just THIS theme that suffers from this issue BUT if anyone has encountered this particilar problem and solved it I would love to PM or email.

Thanks and have a great weekend! :cool:

Re: WP Media Upload HTTP error

If you use the in-build media uploader, there is a limit to the file size allowed, for my wp install it says it is 8 megs. I have never attempted to upload more than about 40 files at a time, and even then the total file size for all of them together would have been well under the 8 meg maximum. Perhaps that is your issue, you maybe attempting to upload more than is allowed in one upload session? I think you can increase the file size allowed, maybe do a search to find out how to do that.

Most likely it’s the internal php load limit being reached. Therefore your php.ini settings need to be adjusted.

I would also check your permissions and / or your default upload directories. I had a similar problem a while back and if memory serves me, it was related to those issues.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check them out and report back!

One thought…Is it possible to simply FTP content to the media storage directories and THEN add them to the galleries once they are already there?

I ask because I am not sure how WP “knows” where content is at for its dynamic scripts and CMS.

I also know that some themes generate thumbnails of various sizes when content is uploaded (for example smaller for mobile viewing) and I am sure that is not do by simple ftp.

Thanks