Word Press for Website building versus Dreamweaver

Does anyone recommend Wordpress for website building, my webmaster wants to change over to to WP and quit DW

Re: Word Press for Website building versus Dreamweaver

One’s a CMS the other a development environment. It’s an apples and oranges comparison. I use DW to edit my WP templates… So I say use both…

I second what RawTop said and I doubt you should continue to call him webmaster :happy:

It depends what kind of website you want to build. Wordpress is perfect for running a blog and you can run a small to medium-sized membership site on it. But if you want to scale it up in the future you might have issues with it.

Dreamweaver has nothing to do with it, it’s just a Notepad with multiple features :slight_smile:

I don’t even use Dreamweaver for any of my Wordpress blogs. I do all of my collages in Photoshop. But I still use Dreamweaver for my static sites.

Essentially I agree with what the others have said here, but it’s difficult to say exactly without seeing what kind of a site you’re thinking of migrating to Wordpress. It’s not suitable for all sites and I’ve seen some paysites done very badly with Wordpress.

I only use Gimp for graphics, a basic text/html editor for code, and all on a WordPress install.

I would agree with what Michael says, it depends on the site and your goals. WP is great for speed and flexibility, but I firmly believe that some sites benefit from being based on something less widespread.

When you think about how many millions of WP installs there are out there, and how many of them have exactly the same structure, coding, signals and terms to be found by Google, it’s probably a benefit when something truly new and unique arrives.

If you have something that can be done using something that isn’t WP, maybe you should try it. There are some pretty good sites out there that were developed from a more simplistic and basic format, and I think they can do remarkably well simply because they aren’t seen as “just another WP blog” by Google.

As Michael and Andrei touched on, it really depends on where you’re going to go with a site Toby. I still have static sites which I use Sharepoint Designer 2007 for editing and creating static sites (hence the nickname OldSchool). Photoshop for photo editing and creating images/logos etc and still use ImageStyler as well.

WP has it’s uses, but good old fashioned static sites are still necessary depending the depth of a site. Sometimes webmasters just get lazy and like the ease of use that comes with WP and putting sites together. I’ve never been a big fan of WP myself and did much with it until late last year.

And there’s a lot of truth in what Michael said about “just another WP site.” My static sites continually out rank my WP sites.

WP is actually pretty great…if you customize the theme (the new 2012 theme is very easy to customize to child theme) and 100% check that thing every day to make sure there isn’t a plugin update/make sure every plugin you have on it is on wordpress.org. As far as dev environment, idk. Dreamweaver is just phenomenal if you want to choose between spending an hour getting unnecessary code out of your page/want huge amounts of unnecessary code on your page.
If your dev isn’t handcoding using nothing more sophisticated than, say, Komodo Edit, and if your dev is trying to confuse you by asking about Dreamweaver versus Wordpress (he’s trying to score billable hours by confusing you there btw)…stay very, very far away. Any dev that can’t handcode CSS and Wordpress, you’re probably better off hiring a high school kid with the skills (or me :D). Hand code is the real meaning of ‘old school’ and it’s just as advantageous as it was twenty years ago. Dreamweaver and all those WYSIWYG editors are why so many websites are a huge mess these days.
EDIT: Static sites, Wordpress is not good. Choose a framework like yii and it’s pretty easy…agan handcode.

Nothing like good 'ole static sites.

Actually I have an adult all male site that offers anything from general release to soft erotica and finally xxx (www.bdfstore.com) …if anyone is offended do not go there, and myself I am a very known director so I hope that the folks who wre kind and gracious to respond are not going to get bugged down :slight_smile:

[SIZE=1]I fixed the URL so it worked. You had the bracket and ellipses included in the URL, so it wasn’t going anywhere. - dzinerbear[/SIZE]