Wierdnes with Google Images...

Starting about 2 weeks ago it appears as if I lost 90% of my Google Images traffic…

That’s across all my blogs - dropped to about 1,000 visits a week - down from over 10,000 per week earlier this year.

However, I didn’t actually lose the traffic. Google Analytics is just reporting it differently. Google Images traffic is now reported with regular Google organic traffic. Notice the bump in Google organic traffic.

I’ve complained for a while now about how Google Analytics handles Google Images traffic. Unfortunately this is not a step in the right direction. I know know even less than I did before.

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 3.27.28 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 3.31.05 PM.jpg

Re: Wierdnes with Google Images…

I’ve been noticing this trend for a while now…I have no idea what they have up their sleeves…nobody seems to know.

[QUOTE=rawTOP;99544]Starting about 2 weeks ago it appears as if I lost 90% of my Google Images traffic…

That’s across all my blogs - dropped to about 1,000 visits a week - down from over 10,000 per week earlier this year.

However, I didn’t actually lose the traffic. Google Analytics is just reporting it differently. Google Images traffic is now reported with regular Google organic traffic. Notice the bump in Google organic traffic.
[/QUOTE]

Dumb question: Are you generating an images sitemap? Are you utilizing the ALT attribute in the IMG tag by adding keyword terms?

My Google Images rankings have stayed pretty good. Unfortunately for me, my continuing struggle is the standard index, and getting crowded out by all the torrent sites.

Another little tip I picked up from a local meet-up - since my images sitemap is so massive, I compress it in GZIP, making it far more manageable to download, which I see that Google loves.

-Steve

You realize I haven’t actually lost any traffic, right? It’s just appearing under a different heading in Google Analytics.

Ah, got it. I had not noticed that - although I have noticed that tracking google images keywords in Google Webmasters separately no longer seems to be possible - unless I’m missing it.

Steve