What's the best landing page for a scene specific banner ad

Another question that came up from looking at You Love Jack… YLJ has scene specific banner ads. It made me wonder what the best landing page is if you use those types of banners…

• The main tour for the site
  • The gallery page for that scene
  • The hosted blog page for that scene
  • A non-blog landing page for the scene (example)

I know the general wisdom is to get the person to the tour as quickly as possible before they lose interest… But is one of the other landing pages listed above better if it exactly matches the content of the banner ad?

Re: What’s the best landing page for a scene specific banner ad

Test it!

I don’t think the main tour page is a good idea though - too general.
The people who clicked on that ad were attracted to something in it - getting them one step closer to that content will keep the tantalized and progress the sale.

Sending them to a page that is completely unrelated could make them say “shit, just another…”

As to which option will work best for your traffic? I would just test landing pages on different banners to see which ones work best for you.

Mary

Thanks Mary… The issue usually is that sites don’t have landing/tour pages dedicated to what’s seen in a particular banner ad, and even if they do, they may not be as good as the tour… Perhaps the gallery page would be good (provided it’s well designed)…

I’ll have to see what works.

I realize that members areas are more limited, it is one of the things that makes it so difficult to rethink the way we market them.

I think that one of the coming evolutions in our industry is to adapt a bit away from the standard tours.

I think that really applying web 2.0 to membership sites is to try and bring people to some semblance of the content. To respect the buying cycle and the way that most people interact and buy.

Nowadays with so many false promise sites and tours, hidden upsells etc, the consumer is becoming jaded. A sales cycle that reflects that will bring them in stages through the purchasing cycle, getting them closer to the actual sale while reinforcing that you actually have what they want.

I honestly believe that tours are getting too generic - I spend a lot of time going through sites, tours, etc. looking for partners, affiliates, ad space and more. The more I see the more I see the same.

So, utilize other aspects and ideas. Create new landing pages… Try something different.

This is just my personal feeling on the subject of tours and landing pages, but I think the concept is getting stale.