What Email Client for IMAP with Gmail integration?

Can you recommend a email client that supports integration with Gmail and IMAP?

I’ve moved my private email over to Google Aps but also run all my contacts and calendars through Gmail. I then use IMAP on my own server for my business email (gaydemon.com). I’ve been using emClient for a few weeks now to manage both Gmail, my own IMAP and syncing calenders etc. It’s a decent program but it has some annoying things like not spelling checking emails before i send them and some connection issues to IMAP.

Anyone tried Zimbra Desktop or PostBox?

(I rather not use Outlook because it’s slow and bulky, but more importantly it doesn’t seem to offer sync or integration with Gmail calender and contacts.)

Re: What Email Client for IMAP with Gmail integration?

Bjorn,

I use postbox. I like postbox a lot. I think it is only $10, so that is a plus. Never had any IMAP issues with it and it works great with multiple gmail accounts.

Lloyd

I flirted with Postbox too. It’s nice and works well. I had to stop using it because of the lack of task management and email rules though. But I didn’t expect too much for the price.

Post box has decent email rules, but task mgmt is just not there. I have quite a few email rules setup in PostBox. I still love Outlook 2011 on the Mac. I don’t think you can beat Outlook as an email client. The new Windows version just sucks imho. In fact I despise Office 2013 with a passion.

Oh I never managed to find where the rules were!

That’s what I use now too, Outlook 2011 for Mac. Can’t find anything better yet.

Oh boy. PostBox has rules just as powerful as Outlook imho… I have mail flying everywhere. :slight_smile:

But Outlook 2011 is just an amazing email client. I use PostBox on the PC.

I was so frustrated with Outlook on Windows. I made the switch to Postbox today because of this thread.

It is able to do everything I used Outlook for.

Filters are under tools => message filters

[QUOTE=StunnerJesse;134250]I was so frustrated with Outlook on Windows. I made the switch to Postbox today because of this thread.

It is able to do everything I used Outlook for.

Filters are under tools => message filters[/QUOTE]

How are you finding it? I used to have Outlook too.

I am in love with it. Searching email was the worst in Outlook and I have to do a fair bit of searching. Postbox alone is so much quicker when it comes to searching. I’d also get the dreaded “Outlook is not responding” error if I’d try switching through folders or accounts too quickly… another thing I’m always doing. That would waste 30 seconds every time it happened.

So far Postbox doesn’t seem to have any issues.

I did have a few configuration questions but I’d just Google the question with postbox at the end and always find an answer, usually in their own FAQ.

For instance, the – in signatures drove me nuts, especially since I have “All the best, Jesse” in my signature… no sense in typing that over and over. It turns out that it’s an easy advance config change… just toggle between true and false.

I especially like being able to mark things pending or to-do. I mark as pending if I’m waiting for a reply from someone and need to follow-up if they don’t reply in a timely manner and make it a to-do if it’s an action I have to perform.

Since I’m using four IMAP accounts the unified mailbox is also nice… something I couldn’t figure out in Outlook while keeping things the way I need them to be (separate, but together).

I like it so much that I went from the trial to paid license in less than six hours… normally I’d try something longer before spending, but I knew I’m not going back.

so no more thunderbird for anyone?

[QUOTE=StunnerJesse;134346]

I like it so much that I went from the trial to paid license in less than six hours… normally I’d try something longer before spending, but I knew I’m not going back.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. I bought it the next day after trying it. The best $10 I ever spent.

Also… Dropbox integration. As you mentioned searching is so damn easy. You can also search for images (attachments) and see it visually. Someone sends an email to you and has a linkedin profile and you can easily see that as well.

I just wish it had a built in calendar. The add-on to synch w/ Google calendar is confusing at first. The tasks (to-do lists) are confusing at first as well. I just realized last nigh that you can pin to-dos.

Post Box was actually founded by the original Thunderbird team.

http://postbox-inc.com/?/blog/entry/an_awesome_alternative_for_thunderbird_users/

Postbox is so much better than Thunderbird. It is really how Thunderbird should have developed. If I am not mistaken five of the original developers of Thunder Bird didn’t like the direction TB was going and went and created Post Box.

I use Thunderbird. Does exactly what I need and it’s FREE :slight_smile: Can’t beat that. Although I must admit from what everyone is saying about PostBox it sounds really nice… Just can’t see paying for something when what I have works perfectly fine.

Sincerely,
Kevin.

Well I downloaded it, and will see how it goes tomorrow, but odds are, I’ll spring for the $10 to get it as Thunderbird is not as easy to configure as this one seems to be. I had a heck of a time with Thunderbird importing accounts, this one did it in less than a few minutes without a hiccup. Besides, Thunderbird is only gonna upgrade for security, for now. Somehow I don’t expect that to last or even be a real priority as time goes on.

Free is nice, but hey these days, $10 is almost free. lol

[QUOTE=Gaystoryman;134361]Well I downloaded it, and will see how it goes tomorrow, but odds are, I’ll spring for the $10 to get it as Thunderbird is not as easy to configure as this one seems to be. I had a heck of a time with Thunderbird importing accounts, this one did it in less than a few minutes without a hiccup. Besides, Thunderbird is only gonna upgrade for security, for now. Somehow I don’t expect that to last or even be a real priority as time goes on.

Free is nice, but hey these days, $10 is almost free. lol[/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize it was only $10 bucks… Guess I should have checked first. :cursing:

Let me know what you think after using it for awhile…

Thanks,
Kevin.

Just tested PostBox. I like the email interface but it does not sync Contacts and Calender with Gmail, doesn’t even have a built in Calender. So kind of pointless. emClient that I currently use does all that automatically.

Bjorn,

There is an add-on for that.

Lloyd

[QUOTE=abostonboy;134388]Bjorn,

There is an add-on for that.

Lloyd[/QUOTE]

Tried it and it didn’t work or I couldn’t get it to work. The addin for contacts did work though, but wasn’t very good. Postbox also handles IMAP folders in some odd way, takes forever before it syncs and I had to manually configure each one and then again manually push to download emails.

emClient at least does all that automatically and without any hassle.

It was driving me nuts that with v3 you were supposed to be able to get Google Calendar sync, but you needed Lightning, which didn’t work.

I Googled and found this: http://www.postbox-inc.com/extensions/lightning/

Install the version of Lightning in the link above with the actual plugin (http://download.getpostbox.com.s3.amazonaws.com/addons/lightning/gdata-provider-1.0.xpi) and you’re golden…

Then you go into your calendar in Postbox, add a new calendar, choose “On the network” and then continue from there (I personally chose Google Calendar and then put in my private XML URL… I have two form authentication on my account so I had to go create a unique password so that Postbox can access calendar as just entering regular Gmail password will not work)

I now have true two-way communication between Postbox and Google Calendars.

Attaching a screen shot with my relatively empty personal calendar before adding the others so that you can see what it looks like.

HOORAY!