virtual accounts - what are they good for

i’ve talked to people who host paysites, multiple script-heavy tgps/mgps and tube sites on virtual accounts. not too surprisingly, they tend to have problems. i use a couple virtual accounts for a couple projects, but i keep all my larger projects on dedicated servers.

so here’s what virtual accounts are good for:

static content
galleries
blogs
sites with don’t use many scripts or one site with a few
sites that don’t require root access or tons of system resources.

here’s what they’re NOT good for:

sites that use a lot of scripts or use a program like NATS or a complex CMS
sites that generate their pages and get heavy traffic
paysites
high traffic sites
blog networks
sites that require more control or root access

of course, most virtual accounts allow fairly limited storage and bandwidth, but a few here and there offer tons. that can lead to trouble since you are sharing the resources on a single server, often with over 100 other accounts.

feel free to add to ny lists or ask questions…

Re: virtual accounts - what are they good for

I have to disagree that they are good for blogs. It’s actually hit or miss. If you put up one blog on a server running 200 other blogs, it can get messy. It’s really the luck of the draw.

the whole thing with virtual hosting is that you don’t get to pick who else is on your server, and other virtual accounts can be resource intensive or bandwidth intensive or even running unsecured scripts. If you can afford a dedicated you should always go with it instead.

wait til you get on a box running a dating site, tube site, or even better an auction script.

Right now I have a few virtual accounts with Naked Hosting and things are pretty good with no serious complaints. However, I’m expanding all the time and have been thinking about setting up a dedicated server. Can anyone give me some feedback or suggestions on who to look into for this? I’d like to find something for under $100 a month. Is that possible? LOL. Thanks.

Great thread by the way Basschick.

[QUOTE=RDude_BarebackMasters;39102]Right now I have a few virtual accounts with Naked Hosting and things are pretty good with no serious complaints. However, I’m expanding all the time and have been thinking about setting up a dedicated server. Can anyone give me some feedback or suggestions on who to look into for this? I’d like to find something for under $100 a month. Is that possible? LOL. Thanks.

Great thread by the way Basschick.[/QUOTE]

You cut your hair!!

lol No worries Bec. Just in a pony tail hun. :wink: It’s ALL still there. Took WAY too long to grow to cut it off. It needs a trim soon though. No more than 2 inches though.

If going for a virtual account, check out the services provided. For instance, Nat Net (though great) doesn’t allow remote MYSQL access for their virtual accounts.

I may be missing some functionality, but for me this means that I can’t use Dreamweaver to develop the site on the server. The issue is that Dreamweaver establishes a real-time connection to create dynamic SQL queries which can then be used to dynamically populate fields.

(If there is a work around in this for Dreamweaver that I don’t know, please let me know!)

I agree with Patti. I’ve had BentleyRace on a virtual account for the past couple of years and now my host has asked me to move to another server because “we have too many sites on that server”. So it’s time to move on and find a better host/deal.
It sickens me to think how many members have not been able to play a video or reach BR at all in the past week. On a side note… why do hosting issues always plague me when I’m thousands of miles from home??

[QUOTE=RDude;39102]Right now I have a few virtual accounts with Naked Hosting and things are pretty good with no serious complaints. However, I’m expanding all the time and have been thinking about setting up a dedicated server. Can anyone give me some feedback or suggestions on who to look into for this? I’d like to find something for under $100 a month. Is that possible? LOL. Thanks.

Great thread by the way Basschick.[/QUOTE]

I use naked hosting virtual for my blogs and a few static pages. I’m planning to host my FHGs there as well.

My dedicated machine at HostHead holds my membership sites which use strongbox and awiz scripts.
BTW - RDude. My dedicated box is only $88 a month for basic service and an extra $10 a month for automatic back ups onto a second hard drive.

Both providers have been great.

When I was with GODaddy on a virtual machine EVERYTHING was s l o w.

Great list Bass.
Very useful information.

my dedicated with NATNET is like $130 :slight_smile: