Video Editing with Premiere on a Mac

Is anyone doing video editing using Adobe Premiere on a Mac? I recently moved to Premiere when I picked up the new iMac a few weeks ago. I’m trying to work out how to produce WMV versions of my videos from it. Currently I’m producing the H.264 MP4 videos and then converting them to WMV formats in Quicktime Pro from the MP4. There’s quite a bit of quality drop.
I’m hoping to find another method of producing the WMV versions once the editing is complete in Premiere (5.5). Any suggestions?
I’d prefer to stick with Premiere because of the nice use of After Affects.

Re: Video Editing with Premiere on a Mac

Forget trying to keep up with WMV. Offer a link to and tell your subscribers to download and install the latest version of VLC player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html. VLC Media Player will allow them to play almost every video file in one player. If I were you I’d add VLC player for Windows to your server so they can download it and install it right from your website. VLC is great, and runs on all operating systems.

Another thing I’d tell Windows users about is Microsoft Security Essentials, which is antivirus free from Microsoft. Write in your tour how all Bentley Race members get access to free antivirus, then link them to the Microsoft download page in a new tab link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

[QUOTE=BentleyRace;117191]Is anyone doing video editing using Adobe Premiere on a Mac? I recently moved to Premiere when I picked up the new iMac a few weeks ago. I’m trying to work out how to produce WMV versions of my videos from it. Currently I’m producing the H.264 MP4 videos and then converting them to WMV formats in Quicktime Pro from the MP4. There’s quite a bit of quality drop.
I’m hoping to find another method of producing the WMV versions once the editing is complete in Premiere (5.5). Any suggestions?
I’d prefer to stick with Premiere because of the nice use of After Affects.[/QUOTE]

Same problem here. Media Encoder for Mac can’t export WMV while Windows version can do that without any problem.
I bought a nice Windows box just for encoding so I can use Media Encoder on it. I queue all the files and let it run. I’m sorry if it could sound stupid but it’s the only solution to encode in wmv from the project.

Compressor 4 can encode mov files to wmv. Just gotta make sure you have the flip4mac pro installed.

I hate Compressor. Many other (cheap) software can do the same in a better way but BentleyRace wants to export wmv from the project. Converting every other formats to wmv will result in a drop of quality.

What software do you like better than Compressor?

Since everybody just ignored my solution, which is the most logical I’ll say this: It’s time to move away from operating system dependent file formats. In my opinion, Mp4 offers the best file size and quality and due to it’s compatibility with mobile devices specifically iPhone and iPad, Mp4 is the only file format you should concern yourself with. Offering 3-5 different file formats is so 1997. Having your members install VLC Media Player and optionally Microsoft Security Essentials will be doing your members a huge service, and significantly reduce technical support requests while promoting rebills.

Your solution is good… but members will complain for sure.

Just to name one… Wondershare Video Converter

I’m not trying to make an argument for or against the idea of asking members to download a different player.

I’m curious as to why members would complain if WMV format wasn’t offered?

I have a windows machine and it plays MP4’s with the same level of quality as a WMV… From my perspective I could care less whether the file is WMV or MP4. Actually now that I think about it I would prefer MP4’s because I can transfer them to my iPhone without having to convert them first so actually I think MP4’s would be the best route.

Am I missing something?

Sincerely,
Kevin.

FLV is even considered “old” now. MP4 all the way!

[QUOTE=mountequinox;117209]I’m not trying to make an argument for or against the idea of asking members to download a different player.

I’m curious as to why members would complain if WMV format wasn’t offered?

I have a windows machine and it plays MP4’s with the same level of quality as a WMV… From my perspective I could care less whether the file is WMV or MP4. Actually now that I think about it I would prefer MP4’s because I can transfer them to my iPhone without having to convert them first so actually I think MP4’s would be the best route.

Am I missing something?

Sincerely,
Kevin.[/QUOTE]

The average member doesn’t know anything about video formats. He’s just familiar with wmv and when he doesn’t find wmv he cancels or complains, sometimes with very nasty emails. I tell you that cause it’s what I’ve learned with members area changes.

Interesting… I run a membership based site as well and I only offer MP4’s. I don’t tell the member what the type of file is. I just have one button that says download now… Never had a single complaint from a MAC or PC user. One would think if they had an issue with not being able to get WMV’s specifically I would have heard something but you never know.

It would be interesting to actually talk to these people who send the nasty emails and ask them if they realize MP4’s will play just fine with their Windows Media Player just like WMV’s… I would like to know what it is they like about the WMV format as compared to the MP4 format.

*Edit
It just dawned on me… You stated the average user doesn’t know anything about video formats!!

I think that is the key to this confusion…

On my site I don’t tell them the format of the download… They click a button and download the MP4 unbeknownst to them… It plays they are happy :slight_smile:

If your advertising click here for MP4 then yeah I guess there could be some confusion based on the lack of knowledge of the “average user”…

Sincerely,
Kevin.

God I’m so tempted to re-do my format offerings into large/small mp4 only and label them as iOS compatible!

I don’t use Premiere, but I am on Mac and I really dislike Compressor. I output from Final Cut as MOV and then use iSkySoft Video Convertor to create mp4’s. I agree 100% with those who suggest using mp4 as the file format of choice.

All very good suggestions and I’m glad I asked it here. I am very tempted to move away from WMV videos. It would save me a lot of work and server space. But there is the issue of changing the site to remove something that the members already get. It’s like most things… if your offer something from the beginning, it’s difficult to take it away. But it was never there, then there’s no problem.
So I will consider stopping production of WMVs but I need some time to communicate and educate my members. In the meantime, can anyone list any of the big sites that offer MP4 only? Just curious.

Brad. I’ve read yours a few times and showed it to my mates. They agree with you that VLC can be the solution for all formats. I’m going to try to avoid software advice to members though (re-antivirus). Mostly because I don’t have time to offer IT support when they encounter problems. I’ll use the FAQ on the site to give some video playing suggestions.

You could also do mp4 streaming via lighttpd on another port then your web server directly to iOS devices. My suggestion would be to offer a high quality stream as well as a file download. If your not to keen on streaming, progressive download streaming works too. RealityKings and NaughtyAmerica have HUGE MP4 videos on their website you can just click and play and they really do look good.

I just tried out Wondershare Video Converter for MAC and it’s SO MUCH FASTER than Compressor. Thanks!

I’ve looked at that before. The only thing that keeps me from using its inability to fade in/out and set the start/stop position of watermarks.

Don’t you put the wm BEFORE exporting the video from your editor (like Premiere)?