The Immediacy of Bounce Rate

So we’ve all heard about how bounce rate affects Google traffic.

I had some very interesting results in Analytics recently that I thought I’d discuss with you guys to get your thoughts.

I started an ad campaign with Squirt, targeted to UK IP’s only. The traffic was great, and the guys there really helped me out. Although the sales were not what I was hoping for, the visitors were clearly interested and the bounce rate for Squirt traffic was under 10%

Considering my bounce rate normally hovers around 60%, it was a clear difference.

What I didn’t expect to see was a sudden increase in Google traffic to reflect the rise and fall of the traffic from the ad. I have checked that members were not searching Google for BlokeToys, and there wasn’t anything there.

I can’t think of any other reason why the organic traffic would have risen if it were not due to the sudden increase of UK traffic with such a low bounce rate. I have heard that Google now places more weight on bounce stats, but I didn’t realize it could be that significant or that immediate.

Does anyone else have any experience of this, and can anyone suggest anything I might have missed that could otherwise explain it?

Re: The Immediacy of Bounce Rate

First off thanks for buying ads on Squirt.org! We are reasonably priced, have a loyal membership who are comfortable buying online and are receptive to adult offerings. It’s also highly qualified traffic. Add to that 90 plus % of the traffic is in the English speaking world. Some parts of the world may send you scads of traffic but conversions are nonsense or visa / mc will not process from those countries. Our bounce rates from outside of the English world are high since we are only in English (mind you only comprises a tiny minority of traffic). But within the Anglosphere our bounce rates and conversions are really strong.

Can’t really explain some of the anomalies that you are experiencing. Your type in traffic could be increasing as a result of the ad, but it may not. That’s a big question mark.

Glad to have you onboard as an advertiser.