Streaming technical question / Amazon reliabilty

Hi,

We are currently using Amazon S3 to host / stream our video trailers, but I’m not sure it’s as reliable as they say… Some time I found streaming very slow on our website, and it’s a big issue if potentials customers have the same feeling.

(we offer two differents bitrates version which are automatically displayed by JWplayer, depending on connection speed

Thank for your help, and if you know a “usability test service” able to work for adult website, please let me know (such as usertesting.com but for xxx).

Re: Streaming technical question / Amazon reliabilty

Are you using Amazon’s CloudFront in combination with S3?

For example if you’re not using CloudFront and your data is hosted in Amazon’s US Virgina S3 data center when a user from France tries to view it it will stream from Virginia.

If you use CloudFront it will pull the data from Virgina and place it in a data center closer to the end user and keep it there for X amount of time. This way the next time a user from France requests the same data it doesn’t need to be pulled from Virigina because it’s already at an edge location.

CloudFront has servers located in Europe (United Kingdom, Ireland, The Netherlands, Germany, Spain), Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Taiwan and India), Australia, South America, as well as in several major cities in the United States. CloudFront now has 51 edge locations across the Globe.

Hope that helps,
Kevin.

Streamed perfectly for me.

We actually use Amazon for our products (Adult SiteRunner) CDN delivery. Really there is no better or more reliable service.

What you may find is that the problem could be in your personal Internet connection or even the encoding profile used for the video.

Are you using a streaming media server as well as CDN?

What is the bitrate for the videos? What resolution?

The recommended max bitrate we suggest is somewhere around 2,200 and 720p. Anything higher may start to give you playback issues.

Thank you for your answer,

Yes we use Cloudfront, with 2 differents mp4 formats delivered by rmtp or http protocol:
1280x720 at 2.5 kbps
990x556 at 1.5 kbps

and normally our JWplayer is setup to display the right one based on the user connection speed.

I thinkt it works well at all, and sometime it’s only my connection that’s slow.

But I would to get a real users feedback to improve all of our website usability, we are working on a huge “user behavior analysis” with Google Anlytics and our own tools to optimize our conversion rate “to the extreme” and trailers video was a first point to check for users satisfaction…

I’m in Florida and the video played and seeked just fine for me… The Blue HD icon was on as well :slight_smile:

Kevin.

[QUOTE=mountequinox;148502]I’m in Florida and the video played and seeked just fine for me… The Blue HD icon was on as well :slight_smile:

Kevin.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the feedback !