sponsor content updates: use it now or wait a month?

That’s just an example of the concept.

A sponsor comes out with an email update of new content. You’re not a QueerClick or a big name webmaster. Do you use it knowing you’re already beaten by the competition even if you work as fast as possible? Or do you just post older material (1 month, 6 months, year+) since it may appear fresh to surfers, or maybe it won’t or what?

Or post recent update material for smaller, less known sponsors. For well known sponsors, use month older (or +) material.

I’m thinking, even if using month old material, or longer…by then hundreds if not thousands of posts on this same content have already been listed by Google and SE’s. So your post on that content will come up even farther down the list than if you posted it when the update came out. Right?

I’m only guessing on this and it is leading me in circles. What do you think? What is your approach? Does anyone have more factual information on this situation?

Re: sponsor content updates: use it now or wait a month?

I never pay attention to what’s new or published elsewhere. If it looks good and stands out I’ll use it. The majority would probably be content sent out in the last 2-3 weeks but I’ve used content that’s been older than that too. Sometimes if it’s something specific I’m looking for I have to dig deep and go way back.

There is danger though that the older content is the more likely surfers will have seen it. So I wouldn’t use too much old stuff either (1+ month).

like bjorn said, i don’t think it really matters if you’re the first to post a site update on your blog. there are only a few queerclick/justusboys out there, were returning visitors rely on them to post the most current stuff, as it becomes available. for regular blogs, i think as long as you’re posting high-quality niche specific stuff, you’re good.

and if you’re really keen on posting the most current stuff, then why not hit up the site owner for a pass? most site owners won’t have any issues providing you with one if you have a reliable site and use their content appropriately.

allan

thanks for the input Bjorn and GP