Software to edit video clips with?

What software is good for editing smaller video clips?

I’m totally new to videos as in editing, and just want a easy and quick way of editing clips, making them shorter in time (and size maybe).

Mostly because a lot of sponsor content is provided in rather long clips, much longer than I would want to shows.

Any tips, any good programs?

Re: Software to edit video clips with?

Windows or Mac based? Windows Movie Maker is simple. iMovieHD is also very simple. But get ahold of version 6 not 7. It is much better. In both you can drop the audio out if you like and encode them however you wish. Very intuitive and simple to learn. It also depends on what format these clips are in as well.

I started using something called Video Charge.
Its very basic but its been good and simple for me. Cheap too.

Depending how much you want to spend, for Windows I would recommend Sony Vegas (expensive though there are cut down versions).

Or Edit Studio 6.

http://www.mediachance.com/video/index.html

This is probably the only relatively inexpensive editing software I could imagine myself being satisfied with. It’s amazing for $89.

Avid do some restricted free software too.

There is very little proper editing software around.

for just cutting clips I use Boilsoft Video Splitter, cheap and gets the job done

For windows, i just want something really simple. I wont be doing much to the clips other than shortening them down or splitting them up.

I’ve been using Pinnacle Video Studio (various versions) for about 6 years and find that its very simple to use and provides a really great product. Two downfalls about it that I’ve found are: 1. if you want to do screen captures you have to capture manually. and 2. The version 10 is a resource hog. I’m not sure if the latest version has been tamed down or not. What I’ve got works, I’ve got it configured how I want, so why change it.

Something like Vegas or EditStudio does have a learning cuve. But once you know it then there is not much point using something else where you may hit a brick wall in future when you need to do more.

What format are the clips?

you just want to cut clips and put them together? you could use the programs from boilsoft, but honestly vegas does it all, does it well and isn’t expensive. even better, i can talk you through it.

i did a video for you today on vegas - easy and fast :slight_smile:

I’m on Mac and of course, Final Cut rules but… for the little stuff and some big stuff too… iMovie is great and you can author DVDs with it as well and do a lot of fancy stuff - very intuitive (kind of) and you can also create virtually hundreds of differing types of files as well… I don’t know about the PC platform stuff but know that our guys use Vegas and Pinnacle and a couple of others…

btw - hey KC Webwerks - welcome to the board - you should know, you’ve edited a lot of our videos… !

Just like basschick, I’m a Sony Vegas believer. They have a consumer version which is very affordable. And if you choose to move up to the pro version, everything you’ve learrned is not wasted as they use the same GUI and share most of the same features.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp

hey, ken - how ya been doing?

ya can’t beat something that works for ya :wink:

Wow he lives!

Talk about being off the grid for a while lol

welcome back