Social Network Script?

I think this might have been discussed but has anyone actually found a half decent Social Networking Script (facebook type)? I’ve only looked at or found Buddy Press so far, but I have a feeling it’s not terribly resource friendly.

Re: Social Network Script?

My bf is actually tangentially involved in one of the example Buddy Press sites. When he talks about it I don’t hear him talk about anything that vBulletin can’t do… Forums, blogs, groups, etc.

yeah, vBulletin did cross my mind too. Specially when it comes to instant messaging, not sure that is possible in Buddy Press. But I don’t like how difficult vBulletin is to customize in terms of templates. Word Press is far easier to modify and manage.

I’m interested in finding a dating script, in php and java, that is friendly to read and add to.

I did look into Social Networking scripts on HotScripts.com . part of me is wondering if focus should be on developing an App for FaceBook users to be part of your (fill in the blank) ?

Depends on how many users you start to get…I’d rather deal with open source stuff if you got less than 20,000 users. ie. php programs.
After that you better start looking at things like grails…java etc.

phpfox is popular. as with anything, go custom. these boxscripts get hacked constantly and bog down under high use.

[QUOTE=Joe Blow;87666]I’m interested in finding a dating script, in php and java, that is friendly to read and add to.

I did look into Social Networking scripts on HotScripts.com . part of me is wondering if focus should be on developing an App for FaceBook users to be part of your (fill in the blank) ?[/QUOTE]

Facebook apps are pointless for adult, as you might just end up getting banned… or have I understood that wrong?

I have used phpfox before and it is a nightmare to customize. In the code, there is really no sense to the maddness. If your looking to customize phpfox, better have a big bottle of asprin handy.

Your best bet is drupal. Thre are many plugins already out, or you can have them custom made.

I’ve looked at Drupal before but also heard that a lot of people have had problems, plus it seems very slow. Buddy Press looks like the best candidate I think, the most amount of users and built on a platform used by millions. Still not perfect though.

How does BuddyPress compare to vBulletin?

What’s that self billed “facebook of sex” using to run it’s backend?

I’d give a second look at Drupal. It was certainly all the buzz at South By Southwest last year. Dries Buytaert proudly noted that Pink’s website uses Drupal. http://www.pinkspage.com/us/home And unless they changed it in the past year, the BRIT Awards as well. http://www.brits.co.uk/

Steve

I’ve played around with Elgg and BuddyPress. Of the two I would definitely suggest BuddyPress.
I know Elgg hasn’t been suggested yet, but I think a lot of people consider it as an easy option.

Don’t do it. I cannot stress this enough. It’s absolutely terrible!

It’s easier to design for Word Press, the profiles would look better and have more features from what I can see. Vbulletin is so messed up when it comes to design, just look at the profiles on here… it’s impossible to make it look good using the build in templates / stylevars. But yes, mainly the profiles stand out on the sample sites I looked at (like in facebook profiles). I prefer the instant / PM system on vbulletin though… not sure how they do that on BuddyPress.

Plus as I’ve worked a bit with Word Press now on BestMaleDiaries.com I feel more confident in using it. It’s quite easy to change (design), upgrades are normally quite straight forward and the template system works well. Vbulletin is a bunch of amateurs who never seem to get it right compared to that.

It’s also why I’m not keen on Drupal, not familiar with it and I’ve seen what a mess it can be. There is also Expresssion Engine, but you would need to customize both of them a great deal to get it working like you want.

I would prefer to use a script that was designed for my needs rather than customizing or bending one to do what I need. I’ve done that too many times and it just makes for more work in the end.

[QUOTE=conran;88198]I’ve played around with Elgg and BuddyPress. Of the two I would definitely suggest BuddyPress.
I know Elgg hasn’t been suggested yet, but I think a lot of people consider it as an easy option.

Don’t do it. I cannot stress this enough. It’s absolutely terrible![/QUOTE]

Thanks, will take that advice then. I did see Elgg a while ago, but forgot about it.

brand new around here but figured my first post ought to be one that contributes.

we have wordpress and vbulletin on our network and properly maintained/updated, they are both great. We tried using buddypress a year or so ago and had it all integrated into our design, ready to rock, did an update, everything broke. I tossed it in the garbage.

we recently picked up the vbulletin CMS for a gaming site that we’re launching and I have to say so far that I’m digging it. vBulletin can be a bear to customize, there is no doubt about that but there are 2 things that vbulletin have going for it. 1. there is a large resource pool. tons of out of the box skins both free and pay. tons of coders out there that know it well and can build you about anything you need. 2. updates that help keep it secure. nothing is perfect but if you have a free source script, the script kiddies are reverse engineering it trying to find a hole. if you have it custom written by a programmer or 2, if those guys die in a plane crash you’re going to pay through the nose to get another coder to figure it out and make any changes to it. (never they less deal with the typical coder snarkiness as they are generally holier than though :).

in the end, those 2 things were the end of our hunt and we got the vbulletin CMS. it is imposing, but it has a lot of nice features. there is a learning curve to be sure, i still haven’t wrapped my mind around the whole thing.

If your looking to have any CMS customized at an affordable rate or find information on it, hands down it is drupal, wordpress, joomla. Now with drupal being bloated, it has all the features that one can want. Just make sure you disable all the features you are not using because when you call up a page, it will call up all the extentions that are part of that node even if you are not using it. Only activate features you are using. With any properly designed CMS, it should not break such as the buddypress mentioned above if it is coded properly. These CMS are designed to be extended not hacked. If you hack these softwares, you are going to have issues the next update. As long as the programmer knows what they are doing and extend the CMS instead of changing the source code, you will be fine.

thought i’d drop my 2 cents after checking all these out.

Drupal is great but daunting. you can create some really fantastic sites with this script if you have the patience for it. I’ve seen some amazing sites based off drupal but again, it takes a lot of time to get something you want. the plugins/support for it are vast and you can easily become lost trying to find what you need for it.

vBulletin i’ve always said is like communism. great in theory, but lame in practice. while the features and everything you could ever need is there that actual result just doesn’t look great and awfully amateurish. Most of the themes/skins i’ve seen for that look like something a kid in high school would make from the late 90’s in their free time. It does have fantastic features but I feel you can never make it look like a top notch site. add to the fact the community support for it is sort of lacking in professionalism. not a huge fan of it. especially if I have to pay for it. pass.

Buddypress I really like. it’s easy to use and customize but again some of the plugins out for it are sort of meh. for example I’m not a huge fan of it’s forum feature where it’s all based on groups, hard to moderate that. Also the CMS plugins that are out there are not the best for it unless you’re willing to pay for one or build one yourself. One of them I found actually boasts that you can’t moderate a users photo/media album, that they leave it up to the community to flag that stuff. not good if you’re looking to use it to build an adult site. However you can make some really great looking social sites with buddypress but be aware that you will have to pay for top notch plugins for it to do exactly what you want it to do. granted the plugins are fairly cheap, just takes a bit of searching.

At the end of the day I’d strongly recommend buddypress simply for it’s ease of use and community support for it. just be prepared to pay a bit if you want some really great plugins for your site. However, if you have the knowledge and time take a look at drupal.

[QUOTE=GaytubeDru;88446]thought i’d drop my 2 cents after checking all these out.

Drupal is great but daunting. you can create some really fantastic sites with this script if you have the patience for it. I’ve seen some amazing sites based off drupal but again, it takes a lot of time to get something you want. the plugins/support for it are vast and you can easily become lost trying to find what you need for it.

vBulletin i’ve always said is like communism. great in theory, but lame in practice. while the features and everything you could ever need is there that actual result just doesn’t look great and awfully amateurish. Most of the themes/skins i’ve seen for that look like something a kid in high school would make from the late 90’s in their free time. It does have fantastic features but I feel you can never make it look like a top notch site. add to the fact the community support for it is sort of lacking in professionalism. not a huge fan of it. especially if I have to pay for it. pass.

Buddypress I really like. it’s easy to use and customize but again some of the plugins out for it are sort of meh. for example I’m not a huge fan of it’s forum feature where it’s all based on groups, hard to moderate that. Also the CMS plugins that are out there are not the best for it unless you’re willing to pay for one or build one yourself. One of them I found actually boasts that you can’t moderate a users photo/media album, that they leave it up to the community to flag that stuff. not good if you’re looking to use it to build an adult site. However you can make some really great looking social sites with buddypress but be aware that you will have to pay for top notch plugins for it to do exactly what you want it to do. granted the plugins are fairly cheap, just takes a bit of searching.

At the end of the day I’d strongly recommend buddypress simply for it’s ease of use and community support for it. just be prepared to pay a bit if you want some really great plugins for your site. However, if you have the knowledge and time take a look at drupal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Your comment about vBulletin very much sums up my own feelings about it.

The problems with moderation on Buddy Press worries me though, it woudl be for and adult site. But I do pay a monthly subscription to WPMU who offers some good plugins for both Buddy Press and Word Press.