so many bad banners, so little time

i’ve been looking at banners for a project, and after several hours, am i finding some disappointing specimens. some of what i’m finding include:

• dark banners where you can hardly figure out what's going on
  • banners with a brief phrase, a HUGE site name and not much showing
  • banners that don't show the kind of action the site is focused on - like bareback banners that don't show barebacking, oral site banners that don't show cock-sucking, etc.
  • banners that cut off the model's cock halfway
  • banners where it's hard to figure out what the action is
  • banners that don't have a call to action (ie click here, click to enter)
  • sites only with odd sized banners like 380x60
  • banners that look more like pics and don't actually seem like something you would click.

i used to think banners didn’t work as well as text links because the entire graphics as link thing was burned out. now i think it could be because most banners aren’t designed to catch the surfer attention and make him want to click.

anyone else seeing the same thing?

Re: so many bad banners, so little time

Seen a lot of pixelated gif banners… probably gives surfers the impression that all the pictures must be as bad.

Re: so many bad banners, so little time

No idea where or whose banners you’re seeing, but as a designer I did want to address some of what you’re describing …

pixelated = the owner wants big banners, usually animated and less than 60k

No call to Action = there are sites that insist this NOT be used on their banners (MANHUNT for one), while others insist you include it … it really gets confusing!

Not showing niche = usually those are when they need vanilla banners

Odd size banners = I get a LOT of requests to have a sponsor program’s banners made up in a particular size to accomodate a specific site’s requirements - especially some of the Tubes want these, and the size is based on their particular theme’s banner area layout.

And then there are the banners that get made up by the clueless … LOL