Server Speed Test

Since moving to the new dedicated server a couple of weeks ago I have had several complaints that my content is now downloading slower than when it was on the shared server.

Does anyone know of a method for doing a speed test? Also, any bench mark that I should be checking it against?

The site is BentleyRace.com if anyone wants to take a look.

Re: Server Speed Test

if you can download something large to your site, a few of us can download it and tell you what speed it reached and how fast is normal for us. i tried it with the sample videos but they’re not large enough to do the trick - they fully downloaded before they reached full speed.

Good idea. I just loaded up this 90MB video:

http://www.bentleyrace.com/promos/MitchZoranBeach.wmv

it takes a long time to get up to speed - the download speed only hits 314k to 320k and then goes back down to 200k and goes back up. it does this over and over. are you on a 3 Mbps line?

btw, earlier this evening, i was downloading from a paysite at 1.6 Mbps, which is the fastest speed i get. most paysites do download faster than this - many at over 1 Mbps, a lot at 500k to 800k and most over 400k.

btw, the download just slowed to a very slow 131k, went up to 196k, dropped again, then went up 320k and slowed again before finally completing the download.

Thanks for checking that Patti. I signed up for a 5Mbps line. Those speeds are very low… especially given that it’s 1am in Los Angeles!
I’m getting 120kbps at best. I’ll pass these results on to my host.

I get around 300 KB/sec on a 16 Mbps connection…

I just averaged around 650 KB/sec on a 30Mbps connection from Denver.

if you are having any problems at all, get in touch with your host and ask, the problem may be something that they can fix or at least see and advise on.

Luke can a webhost look at average speeds for downloads on a server? I mean would they usually have stats like that and if so, is it something we could view with ssh?

Thanks everyone for doing those tests. It was very useful to get the tests from different parts of the world at different times to pass on to my host and show that it’s not just Australia that is getting slow speeds. At best I am getting 126kbps. I tried a site on Nat Net and get up to 1.1mbps.

web hosts can look at routes if you give them the IP address of the problematic downloader (get that from http://whatismyip.com). I have had NatNet do this a few times in the past, they have always been able to pinpoint the area of the route that is clogged and almost always notify that peer or provider unless its a known issue (eg, at one time, telefonica had a known problem in Spain when they were working on a physical line upgrade)

or maybe I should say “good web hosts will look at routes for you” :smiley:

Hi Ben,

Sunday morning here in Adelaide and I just downloaded that file. I started the download at 10.44am, it started downloading at 89KB/Sec then slowly went up to a peak of 104 then back down to 96 before stabilising at 102 and stayed around that mark for the rest of the download. It finished at 11.01am. 17 mins to download a 90meg file is certainly a slow download for my 8000/384 adsl connection.

Getting 93 KB/Sec here in the UK at 12:49 BST on a 20MB cable connection.

ouch!