Search Engines

With the release of Bing, I was just looking at my stats and was amazed how far out in front Google really is. For my traffic it sends over 13 times the amount of traffic as Yahoo!, which is in the #2 position (see chart below). Apparently all in all Google averages 8.7 times the search traffic of Yahoo! but that means I’m over-weighted in Google which makes me wonder if I could be getting more traffic from the other search engines. Mind you, I’m not going to do anything to upset the Google apple cart, but I’m wondering what other people see… How many times more traffic does Google send you than Yahoo!? It could just be that gay guys favor Google more than straight people do. I have heard the urban dwellers and people with more education like Google better, so it could just be that 13x is a normal multiple for a gay audience.

search-engines.jpg

Re: Search Engines

As of March, 2009, independent estimates put Google at about 80% of international searches and 85% of Paid Inclusion traffic and revenue.

Microsoft Live (their last Bing) was launched two years ago and even with extensive advertising, purchased traffic from Yahoo and Google and the fact that their product is auto-installed on almost all PCs sold in North America (and the rest of the world), they only ever reached about 2% share of searches and only in North America. International stats are lower.

i see that yahoo’s traffic stays on your sites longer. same for my sites, and they also are better buyers, but in sheer volume you can’t beat google.

Thats funny, I’ve never noticed that. Its the same for me. Bounce rates re higher on Google and average time spend on time is half that of Yahoo traffic.

Maybe Yahoo searches are more accurate and better than Google?

In terms of % I see much the same as you, google is FAR ahead of anyone else. Then Yahoo, and yet further back MSN, aol and live at the bottom.

the site i have that gets the most SE traffic of them all gets about 17 times more google traffic than yahoo traffic and aprox 180 times more traffic from google than from live :wink:

yahoo traffic stays longer and have a lower rejection rate but not by much…

google has more pages indexed, the site listed for more keywords and for the main keyword sents 10 times as much traffic as yahoo…

its sad to say but google is more or less the only one that matters in this game or at least thats how i see it due to the shear amount of traffic it can send.

I receive a bit more than 14 times more Google traffic than Yahoo traffic. So we’re all above the average of 8.7 times, maybe G like Gay sites better.

Yahoo traffic spend more time on my sites as well.

Well, we have a 13, a 14, a 17, and a “much the same as you” (Bjorn - care to put a number on it?), so I think we’ve got a bit of a consensus. And everyone’s saying Yahoo! visitors stay on their sites longer and may be more likely to buy.

I think it’s the other way around - Gay men like Google better.

[QUOTE=rawTOP;43982]
I think it’s the other way around - Gay men like Google better.[/QUOTE]

lol That’s true!

A couple of my busier sites the I get 5 times the Google traffic over Yahoo traffic.

Interesting that a Joomla site is one of the 5 times, as is a static, hard-coded html site.

But most of my smaller sites, it’s 15 or 16 times.

Michael

[QUOTE=dzinerbear;43985]A couple of my busier sites the I get 5 times the Google traffic over Yahoo traffic.

Interesting that a Joomla site is one of the 5 times, as is a static, hard-coded html site.

But most of my smaller sites, it’s 15 or 16 times.[/QUOTE]

Is there any structural difference, or SEO difference between the two types of sites? What do you think accounts for the difference?

Sure,

I get about 10x as much traffic from Google than Yahoo (1 / 10).

MSN, AOL, Search and Live are 1 / 50 of google. :no:

[quote=rawTOP;43982]Well, we have a 13, a 14, a 17, and a “much the same as you” (Bjorn - care to put a number on it?), so I think we’ve got a bit of a consensus. And everyone’s saying Yahoo! visitors stay on their sites longer and may be more likely to buy.

I think it’s the other way around - Gay men like Google better.[/quote]