Save bandwidth - more screenshots from videos?

I often see paysites only using small or single screenshots for videos offered to members.

Doesnt it make sense to have atleast 4-6 screenshots for each video like some sites have (gayvideobox etc). At least from my experiance, you get a better idea of what each video clip contains which in my mind must also lead to people downloading less, if they can get an idea of what happens in a video clip they dont need to download it to find out… i.e. they download less and only the clips they think will suit their own taste.

To me, the effort it takes to create those extra screenshots would be made up for by less downloads… or am i wrong?

The worst ones, my pet hate… is sites that dont even have any screenshots or only 1 tiny one… which makes it impossible to actually know what happens in the video.

Re: Save bandwidth - more screenshots from videos?

we offer about 130-150 vidcaps of each episode and in many cases we also offer a good number of hi-rez photos at a good, crisp and big size

the customers get a real good idea of what they’re going to get and also have some stuff to look at for “reference”

we’re not real concerned with downloads or bandwidth - we’re not paying extra for our high volume

I don’t know why anyone would offer anything less - that doesn’t make sense to me…

i don’t think they’re trying to save bandwidth - i think it’s more a lazy designer in many cases.

I think Bjorn’s point was they would save more BW if they actually had more screencaps.

I look at the screencaps and decide if I want to even watch the video. For me, the more screencaps, the better. The last thing I want to do is download a movie or even worse watch one in an embedded player and go through the anguish of hating the movie. If it doesn’t have certain types of action that I want to watch, I don’t wanna waste my time on the movie.

absolutly, thats how I would do it as well. You check out the video screenshots and decide if its worth download.

But yes, i guess its also down to lazyness.

[quote=abostonboy;13717]I think Bjorn’s point was they would save more BW if they actually had more screencaps.

I look at the screencaps and decide if I want to even watch the video. For me, the more screencaps, the better. The last thing I want to do is download a movie or even worse watch one in an embedded player and go through the anguish of hating the movie. If it doesn’t have certain types of action that I want to watch, I don’t wanna waste my time on the movie.[/quote]

Ooooh, now there’s a debate! Are some webmasters lazy???

Just suppose… you spent Monday filming Wednesday’s update, then Wednesday filming Friday’s update. You end up with having just Tuesday and Thursday to do the whole edit, encoding, uploading etc for each update - most likely working until the small hours every day. And then you have to spend 3 hours extra on top doing picture grabs…

OK, so we do put in the extra effort… but I wouldn’t call anyone “lazy” just because they wanted to work a standard 50 hour week :wink:

[QUOTE=Adam Mason;13802]Ooooh, now there’s a debate! Are some webmasters lazy???

Just suppose… you spent Monday filming Wednesday’s update, then Wednesday filming Friday’s update. You end up with having just Tuesday and Thursday to do the whole edit, encoding, uploading etc for each update - most likely working until the small hours every day. And then you have to spend 3 hours extra on top doing picture grabs…

OK, so we do put in the extra effort… but I wouldn’t call anyone “lazy” just because they wanted to work a standard 50 hour week ;-)[/QUOTE]

that would sound to me like somebody would need to get ahead in their release schedule by a few extra days, weeks, months…

lol, tell me about it… but with 2 new film updates every week, finding the time is a nightmare!

creating and choosing screencaps would fall among the things i’d designate.

only 50 hours? Is that all! :smiley:

You just got to get some more employees!

[quote=Adam Mason;13802]Ooooh, now there’s a debate! Are some webmasters lazy???

OK, so we do put in the extra effort… but I wouldn’t call anyone “lazy” just because they wanted to work a standard 50 hour week ;-)[/quote]