promoting a sponsor across several blogs

Cross-selling, if that is the correct term. Right now it’s concerning the two blogs I’m starting with. Each blog is a different, technically unrelated niche. But sometimes they can easily overlap. Therefore, some of the best fitting sponsors/sites for each blog are the same sponsor(s).

What is the protocol for cross-sells, if that is what this is?

1. Don’t worry about it. A post or two can be identical (same pics/text) on the same day on each blog, as long the majority of posts are not identical on both blogs.

2. Promoting the same sponsor on any number of different blogs is OK if you:

• Use different pics and text in each blog for the same model/video posted on the same day.
  • Do the above but post them on different days
  • Don’t do the above. Instead, always use different models and videos for each blog if promoting the same company/website - if there are enough updates to make this possible.
  1. With two blogs, use different sponsors on each blog. Not even one or two that are identical. You’ll be submitting your two blogs to link lists at the same time so people may discover them at the same time. Plus each domain has the word “dudes” in them. And that while the blog designs are distinct, they may have a sense or feel of some similarity having been designed by the same person. People may connect them somehow despite they are different blogs, and that will turn off surfers.

2. Don’t use the same sponsor on two different blogs, even if you have 100 blogs.

Re: promoting a sponsor across several blogs

Lots of questions…
I’m not sure about using the same post on multiple blogs but don’t think it would be too much of a problem as long as you don’t do it all the time.

As far as using the same sponsor on multiple blogs I’d say hell yes. Use your sponsors on as many blogs as their content fits the blog’s niche. Just as an example - a shaved college jock from College Dudes 247 could be used on a smooth/shaved blog, a college jocks blog, an amateur blog, or any other blog that the content fits. The more you exposure a sponsor gets (on the right blogs) the more likely you have for generating a sale.

so I’d say go for it.

wonderful. that’s what I’d like to do. thanks, Paul.

[QUOTE=Paul;56391]Lots of questions…
As far as using the same sponsor on multiple blogs I’d say hell yes. Use your sponsors on as many blogs as their content fits the blog’s niche. Just as an example - a shaved college jock from College Dudes 247 could be used on a smooth/shaved blog, a college jocks blog, an amateur blog, or any other blog that the content fits. The more you exposure a sponsor gets (on the right blogs) the more likely you have for generating a sale.

so I’d say go for it.[/QUOTE]

[quote=tim;56387]Cross-selling, if that is the correct term. Right now it’s concerning the two blogs I’m starting with. Each blog is a different, technically unrelated niche. But sometimes they can easily overlap. Therefore, some of the best fitting sponsors/sites for each blog are the same sponsor(s).

What is the protocol for cross-sells, if that is what this is?

1. Don’t worry about it. A post or two can be identical (same pics/text) on the same day on each blog, as long the majority of posts are not identical on both blogs.[/quote]

Unless you use a morphing tool, I’d try to stay away from using the same text in any post, but this isn’t an ideal world, so at times, I guess one takes their chances. I know I do, don’t like it, but it comes down to time, and the more blogs you have, the less time you actually have. Least for a scatterbrain like me. lol

1. Promoting the same sponsor on any number of different blogs is OK if you:
  • Use different pics and text in each blog for the same model/video posted on the same day.
  • Do the above but post them on different days
  • Don’t do the above. Instead, always use different models and videos for each blog if promoting the same company/website - if there are enough updates to make this possible.

Not sure different pics is a big deal, but certainly try to use different text.

However, that said, using different models does give a more varied view of the content of the sponsor, which could strike a chord with the customer, generating a sale you might not have gotten, using the same model.

1. With two blogs, use different sponsors on each blog. Not even one or two that are identical. You’ll be submitting your two blogs to link lists at the same time so people may discover them at the same time. Plus each domain has the word “dudes” in them. And that while the blog designs are distinct, they may have a sense or feel of some similarity having been designed by the same person. People may connect them somehow despite they are different blogs, and that will turn off surfers.
  1. Don’t use the same sponsor on two different blogs, even if you have 100 blogs.

As has been pointed out, using the same sponsor that matches the niche, can be good use of supplied content. If its a Jock, with blond hair, with an uncut dick, using in a blog dedicated to blonds, another to uncut men, another to jocks, is logical and makes sense.

my 2 cents

Your two cents are quite valuable! Thanks, gaystoryman. I’m glad I started this thread. It’s really putting things into perspective.

totally agree, use the same content across as many blogs as you want, and make sure to mix up your sponsors on each blog (and use them on multiple blogs) so that it looks less spammy and more in-tune with the niche you are blogging about.

By mixing up sponsors on each blog, do you mean having a variety of different sponsors on each blog so it looks less like a blog about this this and that site and more about the niche?

I was thinking of starting with six sponsors to test. Then see how that goes for a while, then adjust (subtract any if necessary, but mainly add another bunch to test, ultimately to increase the variety and number of sponsors on the blog).

I’d say the focus should always be the niche, and the content match the theme. So yeah, add the sponsors that meet the niche criteria, whether it is two, six, dozen, etc. After all, the traffic coming is (or should be) due to the niche you are marketing. Don’t think you’d have bears coming to a blond twink niche, so sponsors of blonds, of twinks, would fit, while sponsors of hairy men, not blond, not young, wouldn’t.

I was thinking of starting with six sponsors to test. Then see how that goes for a while, then adjust (subtract any if necessary, but mainly add another bunch to test, ultimately to increase the variety and number of sponsors on the blog).

It should be a constantly changing mix, as you find a new sponsor, and find that ones you are promoting, aren’t selling, so the mix should generally always be in a state of flux, of change.

Some good advice here.
Cross selling is not what you’re talking about though. Cross sales is something a sponsor does on their tour or inside the members area.

As a webmaster, you can promote any number of sponsors or sites on any of your blogs. It’s perfectly legitimate. The points raised here by gaystoryman are relevant but they’re to do with SEO issues - not with sponsor-affiliate issues.

In short, you can certainly do it, not a problem. Just make sure that you don’t use content from sponsor A in a post that links to sponsor B. You can promote each sponsor using their own content, on separate posts and you can promote whoever you want on your sidebars.

Thanks, Tigermom. I’m really glad I started this thread. It gives me more confidence in what to do and what I’m doing.

couldn’t have said it better :smiley:

You all are great!