OpenX and OpenX Community Hosted

I used openx when it was still called phpAdsNew and now I’m taking a look at it again. I think it is still the most complete and interesting software to manage banners and stuffs.

I just noticed they now provide an hosted solution too called Openx Community Hosted. I just sent an email asking for prices and details. Is anybody there using it? What is your opinion about openx? I know it is quite complex to use and a little resources consuming (at least old versions were) but I think that tracking customers will help to dramatically increase earning and clicks to paysites.

Re: OpenX and OpenX Community Hosted

I’m using Open X on this forum, in-fact a single install handles all my sites. There are problems with it though, on a larger scale the amount of data slows it down and I have to manually clear out some of the mysql tables each month or it will grind to a halt when I try and add new banners or pull stats.

Other than that it’s the best solution available. I don’t know much about the hosted solution other than it’s very expensive, or seemed to be when it was first released.

I remember with phpadsnew is there an option to purge monthly (or less frequently) lots of data from the database. Probably it will speed it up a lot. I also remember some nice cache features speeding all up a little. Isn’t it available anymore?

Other than that it’s the best solution available. I don’t know much about the hosted solution other than it’s very expensive, or seemed to be when it was first released.

There is a free version for anybody under the 100 million banner served/monthly and a paid one if you need more. In the last hours I read lots of negative comments about the hosted one (slow server, no support, blocked admin panel) so I think I will go for the downloadable version on my server. Anyway I asked for a quote for the enterprise version and I’ll let you know the actual rates

I’ve not seen that feature in OpenX. The only way I’ve found is to manually do it in mySQL, but I could be wrong. It is a major issue if you have a lot of banner impressions but only affects larger volumes. Smaller usage doesn’t have any problems with it.

Reading some whitepapers about the openx use I found something that can help you

http://www.openx.org/en/docs/whitepapers/distributed-statistics
http://www.openx.org/en/docs/whitepapers/performance-tuning

Yes, seen those. It doesn’t help. I have it running on a optimized and very powerful server. The problem is that the mySQL database grows to over 2-3gig in a month, and the application no matter what server you have can’t handle that.

By the way it’s only on the admin side, delivery is not affected by this bug.

[QUOTE=gaydemon;74118]Yes, seen those. It doesn’t help. I have it running on a optimized and very powerful server. The problem is that the mySQL database grows to over 2-3gig in a month, and the application no matter what server you have can’t handle that.

By the way it’s only on the admin side, delivery is not affected by this bug.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the information :slight_smile:

I noticed on my VPS (core i7 4G, not exactly weak) that adding banners does alarming things to memory usage. So keep an eye on it, you might need to kick fcgi or Apache from time to time whilst adding.

Make sure you set up and run the cron:
~/openx/maintenance/maintenance.php
Every day.

It prunes stuff.
Otherwise it’s the best solution out there.

Gumdrop - Thanks :slight_smile: I was having enough trouble sorting out the basics and suddenly kaboom so I’ll remember that.

[QUOTE=gumdrop;74131]Make sure you set up and run the cron:
~/openx/maintenance/maintenance.php
Every day.

It prunes stuff.
Otherwise it’s the best solution out there.[/QUOTE]

According to the openx documentation it is nomore necessary

http://www.openx.org/docs/2.8/adminguide/maintenance

The option for automatic maintenance is here
configuration->maintenance settings->automatically perform maintenance during delivery if scheduled maintenance is not set up

It is the default setting with the latest version

You should setup cron maintenance for better performance:
http://www.thewebhostinghero.com/tutorials/openx-performance-tuning.html

[QUOTE=GTP;74136]According to the openx documentation it is nomore necessary

http://www.openx.org/docs/2.8/adminguide/maintenance

The option for automatic maintenance is here
configuration->maintenance settings->automatically perform maintenance during delivery if scheduled maintenance is not set up

It is the default setting with the latest version[/QUOTE]

Yes, it’s not needed any more. I tested using both and it makes no difference which one you use. It’s a great piece of software but there are major flaws, however they don’t affect everyone. Lots of the issues you would only ever experience if you have millions of impressions (plus certain server configurations).

Besides, despite the problems it’s still a very good advert solution. The best available. I’ve used it for years and you just have to be prepared to fiddle around a bit to get it to work.

However,if you have a low volume site, it is possible that some Operation Intervals will not have the automatic maintenance script run at all. This can lead to some odd campaign priority values, as the script has been designed to run each and every interval.

Also there’s issues with XML-RPC zone tag delivery.

I prefer the cron method frankly.

[QUOTE=gumdrop;74163]However,if you have a low volume site, it is possible that some Operation Intervals will not have the automatic maintenance script run at all. This can lead to some odd campaign priority values, as the script has been designed to run each and every interval.

Also there’s issues with XML-RPC zone tag delivery.

I prefer the cron method frankly.[/QUOTE]

That is very true. If you intend to use it on a very small site, the maintenance won’t always be triggered but then it’s possible it wouldn’t matter anyway as the volume of data handled is much smaller.