OpenAds / OpenX slowness

Has anyone got some OpenAds / Open X experiance?

I’m having some issues with slowness even with a dedicated ad server.

There seems to be some issues with the more later versions of Open ads. They are a bit slow to load and you specially notice it when you go in through admin interface and try and modify or add banners.

Anyone know how to speed it up, or make it more efficient?

I’ve deployed it across several domains and sites managed through a single dedicated server.

Re: OpenAds / OpenX slowness

[QUOTE=gaydemon;13912]Has anyone got some OpenAds / Open X experiance?

I’m having some issues with slowness even with a dedicated ad server.

There seems to be some issues with the more later versions of Open ads. They are a bit slow to load and you specially notice it when you go in through admin interface and try and modify or add banners.

Anyone know how to speed it up, or make it more efficient?

I’ve deployed it across several domains and sites managed through a single dedicated server.[/QUOTE]

used some times ago and noticed it slows a lot if you log lots of info. Try to purge some old stats (if you need them for stats export it before doing that) or to log less details

ah ok… interesting. I will play around with that.

Thanks!!

[QUOTE=gaydemon;14017]ah ok… interesting. I will play around with that.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

If it doesn’t fix the problem just check the thread on the support forum
http://www.openx.org/en/search?cx=005093772690764907548%3Amw3lqd0zx8u&cof=FORID%3A11%3BNB%3A1&query=slow&op=&form_id=google_cse_searchbox_form#1108

We aren’t having any problems. Are you on the latest version?

Jimmy

Yes, latest version. Well not applied the last small patch. But otherwise yes latest full release version.

Its used across 5 sites, with around 200,000+ impressions per day. So not sure if its a load issue or what.

Do you do any maintaince, is there anything that has to be setup that I might have missed?

[quote=Nicedreams;14022]We aren’t having any problems. Are you on the latest version?

Jimmy[/quote]

It’s slow, no doubt about it. The slowness was introduced about the same time they switched from PhpAdsNew to OpenAds. It was really bad a few months ago due to huge log files, but now they truncate those in the later releases and its gotten better. We had 2,055,341 impressions on Monday. We have a total of 544 banners, 124 campaigns, and 21 advertisers. I’m not sure if that data helps you compare, but generating stats for a period of time say a month might take almost a minute for the website to update with 30 days worth of data. Adding a new banner can take about 20 seconds, but I’ve noticed that once you add a banner you can go ahead and click to add another and you don’t have to wait for the screen to refresh… in other words, it will catch up for you. For example. If an advertisers sends me 5 banners. I add the first banner then click duplicate 4 times. The system will then catch up and show all 5 banners in about 20 seconds. If you wait then it will be 20 second for each. It’s odd behavior, but it works.

Our adserver is a Dell dualcore dual xeon 2.0 8MB cache, 1333 frontside bus, 4GB 533MHz memory. Only mysql and only the one database for Openads is running on the server. We haven’t applied the last two patches yet, so we are running on v2.4.5 running on PHP 5.2.1 and MySQL 4.1.11-Debian_4

I hope there is something in there that helps.

It does help yes.

What you are describing is exactly what happens to me. Totally the same, and yes I noticed this started when the switch some version and to th enew OpenAds. I did read about the log problems which at one Point i had to delete off the SQl database.

I guess then there is little that can be done, funny enough Ive done the same when creating banners. Clicking more than once and it seems to create several at the same time and saving time that way.

It also proves something else. I have of course less impressions that you have, about 1/10 it seems.

But I have 230 advertisers and 800 banners. So it seems its not the impressions slowing it down but maybe the amount of advertisers and banners.

Thanks for sharing that!

[quote=JUB_Bryce;14137]It’s slow, no doubt about it. The slowness was introduced about the same time they switched from PhpAdsNew to OpenAds. It was really bad a few months ago due to huge log files, but now they truncate those in the later releases and its gotten better. We had 2,055,341 impressions on Monday. We have a total of 544 banners, 124 campaigns, and 21 advertisers. I’m not sure if that data helps you compare, but generating stats for a period of time say a month might take almost a minute for the website to update with 30 days worth of data. Adding a new banner can take about 20 seconds, but I’ve noticed that once you add a banner you can go ahead and click to add another and you don’t have to wait for the screen to refresh… in other words, it will catch up for you. For example. If an advertisers sends me 5 banners. I add the first banner then click duplicate 4 times. The system will then catch up and show all 5 banners in about 20 seconds. If you wait then it will be 20 second for each. It’s odd behavior, but it works.

Our adserver is a Dell dualcore dual xeon 2.0 8MB cache, 1333 frontside bus, 4GB 533MHz memory. Only mysql and only the one database for Openads is running on the server. We haven’t applied the last two patches yet, so we are running on v2.4.5 running on PHP 5.2.1 and MySQL 4.1.11-Debian_4

I hope there is something in there that helps.[/quote]