No longer to change "source" on Tumblr

I just tried to reblog some photos on Tumblr and they’ve made it so you can no longer change the source. To say the least that’s frustrating. What this means is that only the original uploader can set the source of an image. If someone sets it incorrectly or leaves it blank, there’s no way to change it. So for example if I saw one that was Fraternity X, I’d reblog it and change the source to point to Fraternity X.

This does make it more difficult for folks like me to do well on Tumblr - but we were sort of expecting changes to come along. I’m now going to have to change tactics and upload pics. It’s more difficult to get followers that way since the whole reblogging paradigm was really great at getting other people to follow you.

I wonder if there isn’t a legal ramification to this. I mean Tumblr is wrongly attributing source on a lot of images and not allowing bloggers to fix it when they see an error.

Re: No longer to change “source” on Tumblr

I should add that this is good in another way… Original uploaders (content producers and bloggers like me) can’t have their source attributions overwritten. So while it’s a change in strategy, it may be good in the long run. We’ll see…