My RTMP mp4 files (encoded for JWplayer) will not play play on devices

Hey Guys
Would someone be kind enough to explain the following tom me ?
My media files are mp4 format and are on an AFS (Adobe Media Server), the player I chose to created the pages with, is JWplayer. The clips play fine on desktops but fail to play on iphones etc.

In contrast I have a friend who encodes his files for Flowplayer and is served by the same media guy and does not have that problem. The Flowplayer versus JWplayer should not make a diff right?

Thanks Guys

TR

Re: My RTMP mp4 files (encoded for JWplayer) will not play play on devices

Are you encoding the videos to H.264? From my experience, that will make a difference. I’ve tried my videos on an iPhone, Blackberry and Android (Nexus 4 and Galaxy 6) and they work. After I encoded them to H.264.

[QUOTE=Toby Ross;142391]Hey Guys
Would someone be kind enough to explain the following tom me ?
My media files are mp4 format and are on an AFS (Adobe Media Server), the player I chose to created the pages with, is JWplayer. The clips play fine on desktops but fail to play on iphones etc.

In contrast I have a friend who encodes his files for Flowplayer and is served by the same media guy and does not have that problem. The Flowplayer versus JWplayer should not make a diff right?

Thanks Guys

TR[/QUOTE]

Are you streaming the files with RTMP? If so that will not work on Iphones and some devices. You either have to stream it using HLS or not use any streaming on those type of devices. I use flowplayer for both desktop and iphones etc. It works on most but I offer 3 formats, RTMP, HLS and simple MP4 file. Your Flowplayer would look something like this:

<video preload="none" class="player">
<source type="video/flash" src="/rtmp_stream_url/mp4:53959.mp4" />
<source type="application/x-mpegurl" src="/hls_stream_url/mp4:53959.mp4/playlist.m3u8" />
<source type="video/mp4" src="/file_location_url/53959.mp4" />
</video>

my ipod will only play MP4s that are encoded using H.264, and the even newer apple devices are specific to H.264 only.

Sorry I only just realized that you mentioned RTMP in the title of this thread!

RTMP will not work on Iphones, Ipads or Ipods. You need to stream your MP4 using HLS for those devices.

It doesn’t matter how you encode the MP4.

[QUOTE=GayDemon;142414]Sorry I only just realized that you mentioned RTMP in the title of this thread!

RTMP will not work on Iphones, Ipads or Ipods. You need to stream your MP4 using HLS for those devices.

It doesn’t matter how you encode the MP4.[/QUOTE]

You can also use Pseudo-streaming for iDevices. You don’t have to make a .m3u8 file and we’ve found it much easier to manage. We use JW Player which may be a different type of set-up.

I’m always nervous jumping into a protocol that is Apple only, I don’t trust them not to fuck with us down the road. If we can go with a protocol that is more broad based and device agnostic I’m more comfortable.

Thank you very much and yes I am using RTM to stream and finally these MP4 files which I encoded with H.264 work on mobile devices. I will keep testing since as we all know what works today will not work tomorrow.

[QUOTE=Titanmen;142423]You can also use Pseudo-streaming for iDevices. You don’t have to make a .m3u8 file and we’ve found it much easier to manage. We use JW Player which may be a different type of set-up.

I’m always nervous jumping into a protocol that is Apple only, I don’t trust them not to fuck with us down the road. If we can go with a protocol that is more broad based and device agnostic I’m more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Yes, good point and simple solution but if you’re using a streaming server it might not be possible. HLS isn’t that bad actually, it still uses the same video files it’s just your streaming server you setup to handle both RTMP and HLS.