My future in adult biz

I have a few questions about my future plans.

1. My domain registrar has started to charge EU-VAT this month. I know and understand the background why they have to do it, but I’m still not too happy about paying EU-VAT to a non-EU company. So my question is: Are there any non-EU registrars who don’t charge EU-VAT or are there any EU registrars where the VAT is included, but who still offer competitive prices for .com domains? Of course they need to be okay with adult.

2. Then I’m not sure if I want to continue in the adult business at all. At least not at the front end by running my own websites but maybe behind the scenes. New laws and regulations are making it actually very hard for a small one man business. You have to spend more time and money on regulations than on running and developing your websites. There’s always the possibility to ignore the one or other regulation, like GDPR for example, but it’s like walking on very thin ice and probably won’t help in the long run or could become quite expensive.
    As I own some fairly nice domains I’m playing with the idea of building a network of sites, all softcore. But to make a decision about that, I also need to look at my third question:

3. The domains I own are due to expire within the next year. Some have already expired, but are still within the grace period, so I could recover them easily. But I’m not sure if I want to keep them. Most of them are probably not very interesting, but a few of them could be of interest for somebody else. They are quite old, but most of them never had a website. So the questions is: Are there any companies around that sell/auction domains and are okay with adult? I used to be with Sedo years ago – but had absolutely no success, except for a few cents from redirects.

I would appreciate any input that could help me to make a decision.

1. EU VAT, not sure. I have mine trough Cloudflare and looking at the latest invoice they don’t charge any tax and cost $9.15 per year for a .com.

2. It’s a tough question but I understand what you mean. I don’t see it being viable on a smaller scale any more, just too much to deal with while sales are down a lot and probably can go down a lot more as you need to block some areas.

3. I doubt you can make much on selling a domain, unless it’s a exceptional domain name. If you’re looking at saving money I’d just let them go. I’ve let some good ones go over the last couple of years, just no point keeping it.

Tough tough questions, and ones I have faced several times over the last few years.

1 - I hate paying VAT, but I live in Finland, and we pay VAT on EVERYTHING. I could fight it and search around, but, well, why? To save a little?

2 - Rules and regulations have always been a thorn in our sides. For now, what I do is legal where I live, which means I don’t promote gambling, alcohol, or any enhancement compounds. I also don’t promote dating as that can be seen, even though it is legal. If you are planning on going softcore, do it. If there is a niche that isn’t well covered, make that move. Softcore can be much more enticing than flat out hardcore and it is not overdone.

3 - Pick a couple of domain names you really like and let the others go. If they are not interesting to you, you won’t be as excited to build on them. I let a few go several years ago that I would like to have back, but I moved on. Scale it down to something you can manage and enjoy. Niches really seem to work well, but only if you can work them.

I was just talking about this this morning. There are fewer people building galleries and promoting scenes from the various studios these days. At the same time, we see new studios and paysites coming on line all the time. People put up turn-key tubes and expect to make a fortune the first week. I’ve worked in this industry for over 20 years - it doesn’t happen that way anymore. Focus on quality, focus on a niche, and do it with passion. If you can’t do at least 2 out of 3, then maybe it is time to move on.

Thank you, GayDemon & Pyewacket for your input.

It’s really a tough question and I’m still not sure what to do.

I’ve checked Cloudfare, but as far as I can see, they don’t offer domain services as a standalone service. I’ve found a few registars that don’t charge EU-VAT, but they are more expensive than my current registrar and there’s no guarantee that they won’t switch to EU-VAT at some point as well.

Actually I don’t have a problem with paying VAT if I would pay it to a company based in the EU. But I really don’t like paying EU-VAT for services from Non-EU countries.

And no, on a smaller scale as it used to be, is certainly no longer an option. My idea would be to build a network of sites, with different themes and niches which link to each other. It’s definitely not something that needs to be successful within the next three months or even next year. I’m thinking about long term. I don’t need to earn a living from them, but eventually the sites should cover their costs, and hopefully give a little extra for the time I’m spending on them. What worries me, are all those time consuming rules and regulations I need to follow. Maybe it’s better to stay away from a business when you need an army of lawyers to run it.

Yeah, I agree, selling domains probably won’t bring me much. I would just hate to let them go for good, so that some broker snatches them. There are maybe a handful or two that I really like. The others are okay, but I wouldn’t mind if they were gone. Well, there’s still two weeks left for those which are already expired. Enough time for a final decision.

Thanks again, guys!

Check [https://namecheap.com/]. I have some adult domains registered with them. They don’t charge me EU-VAT and Whois protection is free.

I hear you Attis. On the EU-VAT, I realize the registrars are not in the EU but because I am, they charge it. Heck, I am charged VAT on everything - even digital purchases on Etsy. My understanding is those collected taxes have to be sent back to the EU. I just figure it is an extra sale or two each year.

I also hear you on the networks. I have two separate sets of TGPs and link lists (gay and straight). They do all link together. I do make my costs back each year plus a good bit extra. I don’t create my content, so that is one less headache for me. I also don’t take any content from the public. Sponsors and approved partners only. I really don’t spend a lot of time worrying about rules and regulations because I don’t deviate from showcasing for the selected sponsors. Design your model to be within the strictest set of rules and stay within those boundaries. I do have an EU-based attorney I can contact if needed, but in 20+ years, I have never had an issue. The only issues I have had have been DMCA take downs that were issued by those nasty services, falsely claiming I stole content from OnlyFans. Nope. I use sponsor-provided content only. I sleep easy.

Don’t overthink it… softcore always sells, especially when you niche it out and offer quality. You won’t have huge sales but you will find you have the type of sales that renew month after month. I say it is well worth it. Keep me in the loop

1 Like

Well, the decision has been made. At least for the time being. I’ve taken my sites offline and will only keep the best domains - maybe a good handful. The other domains are not that exciting and I can find new one if needed. I will simply let them go.

In the past two weeks I’ve been looking into options for a new virtual address. For privacy reasons I don’t want to use my real address. More and more companies seem to adopt a new “know your cumstomer” policy (CCBill recently) and I would have to provide all kind of paperwork including utility bills and such. That’s of course impossible when using a virtual address.

About two years ago, I’ve found two not that expensive services. But their websites are gone. Nothing for the future it seems if you don’t want to spend big money. Basically you’re stuck with the bigger companies and they are simply too expensive for a small business. So this alone is big obstacle.

I still like the idea of a network, but that has to be postponed until later. Maybe in a year or two I can come up with something that makes it easier for me to go ahead.

Sad to hear it but I can understand. I think now days it can be difficult to reach a break even point with the different costs involved and the work required.

The “know your customer” is a big hassle, I know, but it’s a requirement that comes from the banks which applies to everyone in the EU.

Yes it’s a real pity, but the obstacles are simply too big for small one man shows nowadays. The bigger a company is, the easier it gets to play with all the adinistrative regulations.

However, I will keep a foot - or rather a toe - in the door. I’m just too tired now to look actively for solutions. Maybe the future brings something positive.

Like others, I am sad to hear your decision. Almost everyone I know that builds galleries is a one man show and it is a royal pain. I would get so much more done if I had a partner. Money-wise that is not always feasible but with more galleries and better exposure I know it would work. Now to convince my significant other into taking part. (I have tried, but he is not interested.) Yes, the regulations can be a bother but they are still very very manageable thanks to boards like this one. There are always ways around the obstacle course, and sometimes they are easy and work better than imagined. But, I can tell. Your heart isn’t in it and your mind is made up. Let’s see what is down the road…

1 Like