Moving to CCBill

A few months ago I talked about moving my member processing from Verotel to CCBill. There seems to be a common belief that more people trust processing with CCBill over Verotel. So when I got back from travelling I started work on changing my site to make it “CCBill ready”.

Remember CCBill will offer Visa card transactions only with account holders based in the US or Europe. I am in Australia. So my buddy in the US allowed me to base myself at his address. Now there were a few things that I needed to do to the site to make it CCBill ready:

• remove explicit imagery from the front page
  • place a warning on the front page
  • remove pissing videos where guys are being pee’d on
  • remove any videos that could be depicting violence
    And then I had to pay the $US750 fee to allow them to take Visa card payments.

I went through the whole process until I had to supply government issued ID. At first I supplied my Australian IDs. But later I found that it had to be US govt issued ID. That’s where it all came apart. I can start an account in Australia but will not be able to take Visa card payments.

So… the explicit front page is back, the pissing videos are back. I’m sticking with Verotel for now. I have changed from the Verotel’s “Ticketsclub” to the Verotel Classic account. And I seem to be getting a few more sign ups now. And Verotel were even kind enough to wave the 300 Euro changeover fee.

I just thought I would write this little piece for anyone else looking to change over to CCBill. There are a few “catches”.

Re: Moving to CCBill

Sounds like CCBill doesn’t suit the character of your site. It’s almost a shame that Verotel do, but I think under the circumstances that’s the best thing you could do.

If I’m not wrong if you had gone with CCBill Europe the Watersports content would not have been an issue.

Did you speak to anyone at CCBill?

It’s nice to hear your rates improved at Verotel but no matter what you do they will be worse on Verotel than on CCBill.

I get better ratios with Verotel sites than CCBill sites. 2c

I spoke with several guys at CCBill, before and during the changeover period. My only option was to have a CCBill Australia account. The only restriction being that I could not take Visa card payments.

I can imagine that the Verotel sign up rates are not as good as CCBill. It just means that I have to work harder for those sign ups in my tour :wink:

[QUOTE=BentleyRace;53107]I spoke with several guys at CCBill, before and during the changeover period. My only option was to have a CCBill Australia account. The only restriction being that I could not take Visa card payments.

I can imagine that the Verotel sign up rates are not as good as CCBill. It just means that I have to work harder for those sign ups in my tour ;)[/QUOTE]

I was trying to promote you, but, I think you had hotlinking off on your site. I dunno what it was, but your banners disappeared when I put them up.

I would have gladly hosted them on my own server if that is what I was told to do, instead, I just deleted all entries pertaining to you as they weren’t working.

Granted it was verotel, but at the same time, you should have been on top of that.

How do you even know what your ratios are on Verotel, there are no reliable stats. I do mine by using my own tracking system.

I would have to go in and dig around, as we all know their stats are shitty, but there is an option in there to find clicks. Hard as hell to find? YES. But they convert more than CCBill.

[QUOTE=deanb;53113]I was trying to promote you, but, I think you had hotlinking off on your site. I dunno what it was, but your banners disappeared when I put them up.

I would have gladly hosted them on my own server if that is what I was told to do, instead, I just deleted all entries pertaining to you as they weren’t working.[/QUOTE]

The sign at the top of my banner farm says no hotlinking. I’ve noticed a little bit of hotlinking going on lately. I don’t know what the etiquette is with affiliates and hotlinking. I would have thought that each site owner should be responsible for their own content. What do others think about that?

No, I think it is perfectly acceptable to say no hot linking… however, when Verotel gives me a link, and I post it, then it disappears it is something different. I put up a banner as verotel told me to, and it was gone. That is something you need to sort out with them.

Here is another significant difference between CCBill and Verotel (and please, someone correct me if I am wrong). From reading the rules of each processor it appears that Verotel pays out the affiliate commission BEFORE they take out their commission. I recall reading on CCBill that they pay out to the affiliate AFTER they take out their commission.

You can set up CCBill to do it either way.
If you split fees CCBill takes the fee first then splits the remaining according to your pay out thus sharing the processing fee. If you don’t split CCBill pays the affiliate their percentage based on the gross sale first then takes their fee from the sponsors remaining.

At least that’s what I was led to believe when I signed up with them.

On a side note - it would be nice to see another credit card company put visa down. Their rules and anual fees are absolutely crazy and from what I can see, serve no real purpose except to make their merchant customers misserable.

That’s v interesting, thanks. i looked into changing Verotel to CCBill for one site, as so many affiliates say they don’t like verotel. The thing that put me off was loosing rebillers. Is that something you’d found a way around?

I never actually got to the point of changing over to CCBill. In regards to the rebillers, I had planned to hold on to the Verotel log in functions for some time to accommodate the rebillers.

Of course there is a good chance that you will loose loyal rebillers when you make such a change. You would hope that it is made up later by having moved to a more popular processor.