Most popular banner sizes

Of the few affiliates I do have, some have asked for different sized banners for use in specific projects. I have been looking at other sponsor sites to see what size banners they provide and have decided that there is no standard that I can discern.

So, what are the 4 or so most popular banner sizes?

And

In previous posts some say there needs to be a call to action (click here now) and others say no just lots of dick. What do affiliates like better or be more willing to use.

Re: Most popular banner sizes

I think I would recommend the following. 125 x 30 buttons, 120 x 600 verticals, 480 x 80, 750 x 80 or 100, and a wide format as many sites now are going wider format…perhaps 935 x 100.

Definately a call to action unless the banner includes things like fake thumbs which users are instinctively going to click anyway. Click Here is kind of a fall back call to action…and there are others you can use… find it here, enter here, download now, visit now, start watching now, etc.

A lot with depend on your affiliate’s application. Web pages or blog pages? Sidebars are about 160px wide, some 300 if 2 column, plus a lot of themes are now coming with pre made spots for 125x125 ads/banners. Plus you might need to consider the banner for placement in the post content too, about 450 or 500 wide would be needed.

Don’t think you can limit to just 4 most popular. For blogs I’d go with a 250x250, 125x125, and a couple of larger ones for post like 500x300.

my 2 cents

I’m quite basic when it comes to banners, I always only use:

Horizontal 468 x 60px
Vertical 120 x 600px

Prefer smaller banners in size, below 30k (the vertical are normally bigger). Not to much flashing going on either, in either JPG or GIF format.

Those two I’ve tried and tested. The standard 469 works well on any type of site. The horizontal are very good for impact and are more likly to be clicked but also harder to fit into designs.

I’ve had to narrow it down to those sizes because in many banner programs like OpenX its difficult to mix banner sizes and display them together.

i’ve used some very attractive banners without any call to action, and while they looked quite nice on my pages, they often got as little as 50% of the clicks banners with a call to action got in the same spots. btw, just having a call to action isn’t enough - a good banner gets a lot more clicks than a bad one.