McDonald's France Gay ad Come As You Are

//youtu.be/9xGRii6IA1M

Re: McDonald’s France Gay ad Come As You Are

wow, is that for real? mcdonald’s seems to have an entire different mindset in france, at least compared to the u.s. commercials…

France doesn’t have born again Christians running their country. Regardless, I agree, it’s quite progressive.

Yes it’s for real. It was aired in The Netherlands a few months back as well. I love Mc Donald commercials (although I don’t like their food)

There goes my dinner plans for tonight lol and I had coupons too! But yeah, a nice commercial but the food really sucks. :bang:

Was first broadcast in May (at the latest) last year

Wow, that’s great. I sure wish we could progress to that point over here. In other words - crawl out of the freakin’ stone age.

Nice commercial.

It’s interesting to see the different perspectives.

This ad would do well pretty much throughout most of Europe in my opinion.
There would probably be issues in the former soviet states though, most of them still have high homophobia levels. At least that’s the perception.

So is it like this throughout American advertising? Do any big names touch on gay subjects?

Also, interesting that the advert gives the “be who you are” message, while it’s clear that the father doesn’t know his son is gay. So what does that say? McDonald’s will sell to gay people even if they’re too ashamed to come out to their own parents?

Being the slight cynic that I am - and being a bit of a lefty - I have to say this is probably just slightly opportunistic and distasteful marketing.
Obviously, being gay has absolutely bugger all to do with where you eat. So why would a corporation feel the need to air a gay-themed ad (and one with a contradictory message at that) just when the world was abuzz with stories about teen suicide related to gay bashing in America?

I could be wrong about the timing, but either way I think it’s very cynical.

I think the message is more like: His father would be clearly having trouble with his son being gay, because he wants to see his son as the ladies men he was when he was his sons age. Mc Donalds doesn’t care for sexuality - everyone is equal and everyone is welcome.

Whatever the message in those commercials is, those companies are of course just trying to market their products to the gay market, since they know gay men usually have more to spend. That’s why big companies like Lufthansa, Toyota, Barclays Bank, Renault, Volvo and many more have launched marketing campaigns just for the gay market.

Yes exactly…the corporate world knows where the buck stops…

[QUOTE=pocoloco;86148]I think the message is more like: His father would be clearly having trouble with his son being gay, because he wants to see his son as the ladies men he was when he was his sons age. Mc Donalds doesn’t care for sexuality - everyone is equal and everyone is welcome.
.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you and I like the commerical. I dont think its distasteful at all so have to totally disagree with the comment Conran was making - I think you’re reading waaaaay too much into it. I dont think the message is contradictory at all. and wooah how on earth did you manage to go from a McDonalds commercial to gay teen suicide in one post. Seriously chill, you are reading way too much into it.

And when the father is talking about his son being a ladies’ man and too bad everyone in the class is male, the son just kind of looks at his Dad and smiles a little, like “he so doesn’t get it.” There’s not an ounce of fear in that boy’s face. He’s not going to have a problem telling his Dad. That’s what I got out of it anyway. And I didn’t get the impression his father would have a problem with it either. Of course most parents assume their kids are straight and say things like, “You could be a real ladies’ man.”

Let’s give McDonalds some credit here. Sure, they’re profit motivated and they’re capitilizing on what’s all the rage right now, but that’s marketing. At least they’re putting their profits on the line and being more inclusive in their advertisiing.

I second that