making a model or site sound better than it is :(

something i have run into a lot ever since several clients have been using me to supervise or edit their other writers is what i call overselling. for example, calling a guy with average looks and body a “gorgeous hunk” or telling readers that a smallish site with average smallish videos is a “must-see site with tons of great quality videos”.

i have talked to many writers and webmasters who do this. some feel they’re trying to make more sales that way. some aren’t sure why they do it - they seem to like to write in superlatives. some literally can’t write any other way and others fall back into that kind of overselling unless there’s someone reminding them periodically not to do it.

i’ve rewritten a lot of existing reviews or site text for clients and they usually made more sales - not less - when they were written to be more accurate and less over-enthusiastic. especially some reviews went to making almost no sales to selling pretty sell.

my theory about this that is that people are used to be told in zillions of commercials that everything is the biggest, the best, has the most, is a great deal and so on. we’re inundated with this kind of advertising everywhere - the web, tv, radio, magazines. even those who might believe it are sure to get pretty jaded after they buy or join a few of these items and discover that they’re pretty much like all the rest and sometimes worse.

so a review that admits the site has faults but lists the things that do make it worth joining is more likely to make sales. statements with numbers - 127 videos, 503 pic sets, 640x480 videos - tend to sell because they don’t sound tampered with, and hopefully they aren’t. well, they sell unless you pack the entire review or description with numbers :wink:

of course, sometimes it’s just obvious how accurate you are. when surfers click a link to a freesite including the phrase “Gorgeous hunk”, surfers expect to see a model who is not only very very attractive but also fairly muscular and well-built. when the surfers get to that site and see an average guy - not fat and not thin and definitely not muscled - with an average face that no one at the store or the gym would notice twice, they’re less likely to click to the sponsor because the pics aren’t what they’re looking for.

and if the guy is gorgeous and you promise more like him at the site, and the surfers go to the site and find all average guys, again, those surfers are a lot more likely to be disappointed.

the bottom line is that anything you do to get the surfers expectations up so they expect more than a site or model has to offer isn’t a good idea, because disappointed does NOT lead to joins. describe models and sites more realistically and you will send the surfers that really are looking for what you’re selling!

Re: making a model or site sound better than it is :frowning:

I guess over-selling is just a fact of life. We have it pounded into our heads from birth that everything is constantly “NEW AND IMPROVED!”. And to be honest and blunt with people, especially when your trying to sell them something, is taboo.

It’s funny, I’ve always stayed away from using things like “the biggest cock you’ve ever seen” because unless it’s 18-inches, it might not be. So I feel odd saying things like that unless they’re really true.

On the other hand, those kinds of links tend to get me clicking. The problem is that I’m usually disappointed when I arrive at my destination.

But I tend to call 'em like I see. I have on several occasions said things like, “It’s not the prettiest dick I’ve ever seen, but it sure is fat,” or “John isn’t the nicest looking guy, but he sure does have a nice piece of meat.”

Michael

I like honesty when it comes to clicking links. I’m far more likely to part with my credit card details if I haven’t been mislead.

Things like you said, dzinerbear, like it sure isnt the prettiest dick you’ve seen, still arouse curiousity.