Local Backup Software Recommendation(s)

I just pick up a couple of new Western Digital 2TB external drives and I’m not at all impressed with WD SmartWare software included.

Does anyone have recommendations for better software? Something that gives the user a little more control (like being able to select which files/folders to back up) and that’s better at automating backups.

Re: Local Backup Software Recommendation(s)

We use EMC Retrospect. It’s an enterprise-level backup solution, but they have an inexpensive edition (which we have) that’s about $150 or something. It can automate backups, provides a lot of flexibility, and will write to almost any device including SDLT tape, which we use.

Because it comes from an enterprise background, it is VERY solid and pretty full-featured in terms of being flexible and granular with what you backup and restore. And it’s fairly easy to learn as well.

I remember reading about another app for hard drive backups that was really slick, but I can’t find the link to it at the moment. If I track it down, I’ll update this post.

Re: Local Backup Software Recommendation(s)

It looks like Retrospect HD is only $50 and looks to be exactly what I am wanting. I’m going to install the trial and test it.

Thanks a bunch Chip!