LAW - Question about "User Submitted Pics/Selfpics"

LAW - Question about “User Submitted Pics/Selfpics”

Hello!

I hope anyone can help me a little bit;
I want to show user submitted pics on my blogs and websites. (selfpics, shows nudity and sexual content)

But how is it with the Law?
When a User sends me a picture of him what do i need also to post it?

• Is a passportscan / id-scan enough? ( to proof that the user is older then 18 )
  • Do i also need a contract where the user signs and allows me to use his picture?
  • Anything else?

Maybe someone of you has some experience and can help me… ?
THX.
:smiley:

Re: LAW - Question about “User Submitted Pics/Selfpics”

You might also want a tick box for “this is my photo of me and I give you permission to use it.”

hi dzinerbear!

good idea - thx!!! :happy:

do you think i need anything else beside the passportscan and the permission to use it?

Sounds like you’re covered, but … fewer Americans have passports than other citizens in the world. So you may want to accept a driver’s licence if it has proof of age.

But honestly, no matter what you do or how much documentation you have, some lawyer can turn it all upside down. For instance, maybe I send you a pic of my partner, I give you permission, I say it’s me, and I send you a copy of his ID. Fact is I still lied. Are you covered? Don’t know.

I think as long as you have evidence that the person supplying it has stated that they are over the age of 18 and have the authority to share the image - that it is theirs and not someone else - you are legally covered.

You should have a facility to have images reported on the same page as where they appear, so that you can state that you have done everything you can to make it as easy as possible for people to have images removed if they have ownership.

I don’t think I’ve seen any site out there asking for scans of documents before they’ll share an image, you just need to supply a statement that they can agree to. This is effectively a contract where they are giving you permission to publish the image, and that they have the right to give you that permission.

Like Michael says though, the law can be twisted, especially internet related laws where everything seems to change depending which country a site is hosted in and who operates it.

thank you for the infos!!! :slight_smile:

How about having a look on X-tube on video submission page, they got number of boxes to check before you are allowed to upload the file. As they are one of the leading sites of this type, guess they got this right, just a thought.

Good Idea malejunction - thank u! :slight_smile:

The smartest thing to do would be to speak to an attorney and obtain a letter of legal recommendation. Standard 2257 law alone requires you to have a release and a copy of their government issued photo id, drivers license or passport, among other things, which is why you’d be best protected by speaking to an attorney, just to be safe.

THX Lisa!