Is tgp a dieing business?

Hello,
this morning I checked several HUGE gay/straight tgp/mgp on alexa. I know that alexa is not the best reliable tools to check traffic but it’s to compare sites with lots of traffic. EVERYONE is loosing traffic day after day and the drops are pretty huge, not a normal up and down. Is this a dieing business in your opinion?

Personally I gave up with my MGPs and won’t touch them again… at least I won’t touch the old style version. Maybe I’ll try a “new” kind of tgp :smiley:

Re: Is tgp a dieing business?

Straight example:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/pandamovies.com?site0=pandamovies.com&site1=youngleafs.com&site2=dansmovies.com&site3=pichunter.com&site4=cliphunter.com&y=r&z=3&h=300&w=470&c=1&u[]=pandamovies.com&u[]=youngleafs.com&u[]=dansmovies.com&u[]=pichunter.com&u[]=cliphunter.com&x=2008-07-21T22%3A06%3A42.000Z&check=www.alexa.com&signature=2CFRWmWh5yhuj2bqZ6sRDeYe8Wc%3D&range=6m&size=Medium

Gay example:

=hotgaylist.com&u[]=lustypuppy.com&u[]=gaybeef.com&x=2008-07-21T22%3A07%3A52.000Z&check=www.alexa.com&signature=97dVpiZEQTcTmzcdnNdCxdplg%2FM%3D&range=6m&size=Medium"]http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/hotgaylist.com?site0=hotgaylist.com&site1=lustypuppy.com&site2=gaybeef.com&y=r&z=3&h=300&w=470&c=1&u[]=hotgaylist.com&u[]=lustypuppy.com&u[]=gaybeef.com&x=2008-07-21T22%3A07%3A52.000Z&check=www.alexa.com&signature=97dVpiZEQTcTmzcdnNdCxdplg%2FM%3D&range=6m&size=Medium

I imagine the tube sites are chomping out a big chunk of TGP’s traffic. And frankly, I think the TGPs have been killing themselves with their traffic trading practices. If I were a surfer and I click a thumbnail, I want a gallery; I don’t want to be shunted off to some other TGP. People don’t seem to learn, when you’re greedy, you lose in the end. If you don’t treat your traffic with respect, they move on. The TGP may win in the short-term, but eventually it catches up with them.

Michael

As a surfer that avoided TGPs, I can say that to the non-internet savy, the seem to be pointless. I say this because, as Michael says, you click a thumbnail that you are interested in and then are taken to another assortment of pictures that have nothing to do with the one you clicked. Sometimes this can happen through 4 or 5 cycles before you ever see anything but additional thumbs that have nothing to do with the one you clicked originally.

I avoided them as a surfer and only have a couple as a program owner that really do produce and these are not the ones that practice the whole bait and switch deal.

Earlier this year Alexa changed the way they compute traffic. They used to rely on feedback only from users that had their toolbar installed but supposedly they don’t anymore. I’m not sure how they do it now but you will probably notice some change in all sites traffic history.

Btw, I find the most interesting graph is the ‘rank’ graph and not the ‘reach’ or ‘page view’ graphs.

They are playing in the same field as tube sites and are losing out.

hehe…speaking of which, remember the days of TGP2? I bet if that actually worked, TGPs would be in a better position today.

TGP2 made a lot more sense to me, and I tried my damndest to have that model work … sigh.

My TGPs don’t do well. Even compared to my blogs. Perhaps they are a dying business. Or maybe mine suck lol They look like a lot of other peoples’ and maybe that’s the problem. Hmmm…food for thought.

[QUOTE=dzinerbear;16015]I imagine the tube sites are chomping out a big chunk of TGP’s traffic. And frankly, I think the TGPs have been killing themselves with their traffic trading practices. If I were a surfer and I click a thumbnail, I want a gallery; I don’t want to be shunted off to some other TGP. People don’t seem to learn, when you’re greedy, you lose in the end. If you don’t treat your traffic with respect, they move on. The TGP may win in the short-term, but eventually it catches up with them.

Michael[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AlexManifestMan;16018]As a surfer that avoided TGPs, I can say that to the non-internet savy, the seem to be pointless. I say this because, as Michael says, you click a thumbnail that you are interested in and then are taken to another assortment of pictures that have nothing to do with the one you clicked. Sometimes this can happen through 4 or 5 cycles before you ever see anything but additional thumbs that have nothing to do with the one you clicked originally.

I avoided them as a surfer and only have a couple as a program owner that really do produce and these are not the ones that practice the whole bait and switch deal.[/QUOTE]

I try reply both posts all at once. I think that you’re talking about hard skim CJs. Those big tgp/mgps skim at 80% - 90%. Just to clarify, it means that just 2 clicks out of 10 go to trades (another sites). Usually they have 1st (seldom 2nd too) set to “galleries”. It means that from the 2nd/3rd click every click is “under” skim pattern.

I’ve just tried to load www.pandamovies.com. First 5 clicks went to galleries, 6th to trades and the other to galleries. I think that the problem isn’t focused on skim but on galleries. I think that the days for wmv galleries are gone, flash galleries will be the feature.

TGP2 … listened too many times … never got what they are. I’m too young! :smiley: Any example?

I used to do pretty well. About $700 month with 2k daily traffic. Not too bad. The problem is the amount of hours behind a GOOD tgp/mgp. :grrr:

TGP2 was a way to limit the amount of free content. it was basically a gallery page with 9 images. Maybe 4 or 5 were actual thumbs that went to a bigger pics, the others were pics bigger than thumbs but smaller than full size images, that when clicked went to the sponsors site.

REALLY hard to explain and I may not have it right. Let’s just say that the goal was to give the surfer less free content. It failed miserably.

Picture a page with 6 thumbs that opened to bigger pics and maybe 4 other medium sized pics on the page with the thumbs. I can’t remember if you were allowed to blind link the medium sized pics or not. I think you were.

[QUOTE=abostonboy;16050]TGP2 was a way to limit the amount of free content. it was basically a gallery page with 9 images. Maybe 4 or 5 were actual thumbs that went to a bigger pics, the others were pics bigger than thumbs but smaller than full size images, that when clicked went to the sponsors site.

REALLY hard to explain and I may not have it right. Let’s just say that the goal was to give the surfer less free content. It failed miserably.

Picture a page with 6 thumbs that opened to bigger pics and maybe 4 other medium sized pics on the page with the thumbs. I can’t remember if you were allowed to blind link the medium sized pics or not. I think you were.[/QUOTE]

Ok, it makes sense now and I can barely remember some tricks like that.

I am going to invent the tube 2 movement. Who is with me?

TGPS that SKIM are out imo. Non-skim and blog-style tgps are the way to $

I think tube sites are so much more surfer-friendly, they’re bound to take away the free movie surfers. So, yes, IMO MPG’s are a dying business. Not sure about picture TGP’s though - I think some people just prefer pictures, and good TGP’s that don’t skim their traffic and provide quality daily content will survive.

Totally agree with Luke, I think the single biggest reason why TGPs are going down hill is due to Tube’s.

I’ve never either understood or enjoyed surfing normal TGPs, as said before you end up being sent to other TGPs or sites and not galleries. Never understood that (from a surfers view point that is).

Yep, tubes took their traffic, an I hated tgp’s too, full of viruses and redirects they are just annoying, seems like a couple of guys with 500 hits would just send their traffic back and forth all day to get to 100K daily and then jack off to their stats and think they were importnant :smiley:

I haven’t been to a tgp in along time except the hun a bit ago, too much risk, I have only had my virus and spysweeper programs go off on one small tube so far, but almost everytime I goto a tgp/mpg I get screwed, it’s just now worth the risk.