Is Apple giving up on video editing?

Interesting read for any of you Mac guys who do video editing:

http://hollywoodreinvented.com/2010/07/12/is-apple-ceding-the-high-end-digital-editing-market/

A similar story was in the latest issue of Xbiz magazine.

I’ve heard for awhile that Apple is definitely putting all their eggs into the wireless technology basket.

Re: Is Apple giving up on video editing?

There really isn’t much more that FCP/FCS can do, based on the timeline/boxcars layout scheme introduced by Adobe Premier almost 15 years ago.

The next evolution would be towards the Avid platform, which is not about lining up boxcars on a timeline.

One thing I would like FCP/FCS to do better is the concept of Edit Decision Lists: where you import an Excel spreadsheet (.csv), or XML list, of clip names and their in/out points, and it drags and drops and assembles the boxcars for you.

I would like the industry to do a better job of getting AVCHD files to .MOV.

One of my part-time editors who’s at Uni has to use FCP on Macs at Uni… but here he has to use Avid on our PC’s. Oddly enough, he now brings his college work to the office to edit when he can.

FCP is almost dead now - Avid is by far the market leader for true editing professionals. BUT - before this gets in to an Apple versus Microsoft war - Avid works on both platforms… providing you can afford the correctly spec’d machine! That’s not an easy or cheap thing to do - the last PC I bought to handle the job cost around £7,000!!!

I still use FCP, but AVID is the way to go if you can afford it. (I can’t.) Interestingly, although I have never used it, I am told that iMovie (comes free with most Macs I think) does almost as good of a job as FCP for most applications.

Actually guys, Adobe Premiere is the way to go especially if you want to do real time HD editing with one of those new DSLR’s like the Canon T2i/550D. Every other editing program has to transcode HDSLR video into a format that can be edited but not Premiere CS5… with a good PC and video card you can just transfer the footage in and start editing the native HD files in real time. It’s a huge time saver!