IP address and seo

I asked my host for ip address’s that are totally different to help seo, when im linking sites together. They have given me:

Is that what I wanted? I was told to get different ip ranges?

Re: IP address and seo

I think you want different ‘blocks’ so it shows its way different, but with the shortage of ips i don’t think it is as big a deal as it first was for seo purposes.

I wanted the 204.13.55 but to be totally different too. Is that right? Or are you saying Google no longer cares about this?

As long as they are not identical it’s all fine with google!

Great thanks!

No, I think you want different Class C IP blocks. The ones you listed above are all on the same block. Some say heavy cross linking between IP’s on the same block can cause problems but others say there are no real issues. If you truly want to be safe then you need to have them on different class c blocks, meaning the the first three numbers would be different. Usually it cost a couple dollars more a month to have multiple class c bocks on a server.

Thanks Northstar, so its actually the 204. bit that should be different. I did think this wasnt what I wanted. I think ill need different hosting accounts as they said this is what they offer.

I’m not so sure it really matters, even if you cross link. In my view at least, it would not make sense for Google to look much at IPs as such.

Someone else mentioned it before, just think about all the shared servers a majority of sites are on.

Many of my sites site on the same range and ive never experianced any problems.

What you got to worry about is Black SEO. Stay away from it and you will be fine.

I have many sites on the same IP which have a lot of google traffic and rank in the top 10 for some keywords and I have many blogs on different IP’s that rank much worse.

As long as you don’t share the same IP with many spamsites which won’t happen if you only use your own IP’s you will be fine with google. It won’t harm your site listing in SERP’s.

If you will sleep better then go with the different Class C IP blocks :wink:

the whole different ip for seo debate has been nullified directly by google and other search engines years ago when they said ip address sharing does not affect your seo.

But if you still want to play the IP SEO game, you have to get the IP addresses on different subnets. Most hosts run on Class C subnets (Class C IP addresses are those with a first octet from 192 to 223), eg, all IP addresses within the range 193.1.2.1 to 193.1.2.255 are in the same subnet.

Your addresses:
are all on different class c subnets. So they are valid for playing the IP SEO game.

However, to further complicate things, search engines are smart enough to realise that those IP addresses are all from the same web host and would likely discount their “uniqueness” factor if that actually is any real factor in SEO.

Hehe so whats the final clue? Forget about that IP SEO shit :smiley:

There are ways, where you can use it, which requires some planning. If you pick out a few good hosts, determine to have selected different type sites on each, so they all also point to your flagship site, it can be beneficial.

You have to look at your whois registration info too, as all registrars get the same db of listings, so with some help from partners, it can be managed so that in all aspects the various sites are appearing as unrelated.

Frankly, these days it ‘appears’ not to be worth the added effort & paperwork but it is doable. whistle

put it this way, google is not stupid - they know the tricks of the trade :wink:

Their does seem to be a bit of debate on this though. Im kind of thinking that for a few extra dollars you may as well go the different ip route. Its only a dollar per ip address.

Ive been starting blogs on different hosted blog servers like thumblogger, so thats free. If the people who claim this is important are wrong, it hasnt really cost me that much.

aah…but you don’t own the domain thumblogger.com (so whois doesn’t match your domains), plus its been online for years with good PR on several of the sites and its running on a totally different webhost in a different location physical location to yours.

So that would be more beneficial than buying add on ips?