Iomega

Well I splurged tonight, and got the wife and myself a network drive, an IOMEGA and I have to say, it was rather a surprise. I mean it really is sleek looking, which is nice, but the install was rather simplistic, and I was dreading it. Now to figure out how to sync files to it, if I can…

Not like I am geek, but it was rather nice to have an install go so smoothly, quickly, and already got three of our four computers linked. And it wasn’t expensive either. :cool:

Re: Iomega

I looked at the Iomega on Squirt’s recommendation, but since I could tell by anything on the box who made the guts, I went for a Free Agent instead. Still haven’t been able to find the on/off switch on that one.

Michael

[quote=dzinerbear;24563]I looked at the Iomega on Squirt’s recommendation, but since I could tell by anything on the box who made the guts, I went for a Free Agent instead. Still haven’t been able to find the on/off switch on that one.

Michael[/quote]

Oh no you must have missed my post below. How do you like your Free Agent drive?

[quote=Squirt;23858]Michael I love it!

It’s the smoothest quietest drive I’ve ever bought.

Inside is a SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 so I can recommend this drive with full confidence.[/quote]

Yeah I saw your post about the guts being a Seagate, but I had also heard the Iomega’s had Western Digitals, so I didn’t want to take the chance.

The Free Agent is cool, and I mean that literally … it doesn’t heat up like other externals I’ve had. I don’t like their back up software because it’s an all or nothing affair. I use Back Up Genie instead and it’s all working fine, except for the other night when Spy Sweeper kicked in for an unscheduled scan and kills the back up.

Michael

Yeah it’s amazing they can give multiple hard drives under one hard drive product name and not be called out. It’s like buying a Bentley with the guts of a Volkswagen!

[QUOTE=Gaystoryman;24546]Well I splurged tonight, and got the wife and myself a network drive, an IOMEGA and I have to say, it was rather a surprise. I mean it really is sleek looking, which is nice, but the install was rather simplistic, and I was dreading it. Now to figure out how to sync files to it, if I can…

Not like I am geek, but it was rather nice to have an install go so smoothly, quickly, and already got three of our four computers linked. And it wasn’t expensive either. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thought you were laptop shopping??

Yeah we got that too… was an expensive night out… wifes :bang::bang:

Michael the switch is a real bitch. its actually more or less built in to the base… if look for the symbol a circle with a line it should be located just before that, towards the back, behind the circle… its a touch button more than visible… hth

I’ve been all over this thing, I don’t think there is an on / off button. Maybe to 500 gig doesn’t have one; don’t you have a 250 gig?

Michael

no a 320 and it took the wife and his sticky fingers to find it… i never did, and even now went looking and couldn’t find it, but could be its not on, or something like that… cuz I know I felt it and used it when he left it on and the light from it was bugging me. it is there… but damn if its easy to find :bang:

when sleepyhead wakes up, i’ll have him point it out to me again… and then I’ll know I wasn’t dreaming… but it is there. I hadn’t been drinking, honest lol

A Follow UP on my new Iomega Network Drive.

Got it installed and running on three of our computers, but not the Toshiba Laptop which is 64 bit. Though the Vista desktop is also 64bit, go figure :bang: as Iomega says it can’t confirm compatibility yet for 64bit Vista.

Next up, the backup software that comes with the drive unit. Kaspersky went nuts as I went to install it. Seems there is a ‘hidden download’ in the set up for the backup program, to an online storage program/site. Mozy Home.

Really ticks me off, because that just doesn’t seem right, to be pushing some other service, without being told exactly what it is. Sort of like adding a pre checked trial offer below the fold on sign up pages. :grrr: