If you run OpenX Source do not update PHP to 5.4.x

The code is apparently completely broken, and inversely more of it breaks with each version of PHP 5.4.x released. PHP 5.4.5 and then testing PHP 5.4.6RC with it completely crashed all PHP processes, thousands of code errors in logs. Stats stats broke with the first 5.4 release, then the maintenance script decided to run itself and all the administration interface went on 5,4,5. After that all the delivery scripts began crashing until php-fpm couldn’t stay afloat for more than a few minutes before segfaulting. You know it’s bad when your syslog fills up with

Aug 7 23:42:45 kharon kernel: php-fpm[13057]: segfault at 1000721 ip 0000000000807118 sp 00007fff838c4840 error 4 in php-fpm[400000+8e2000]

Re: If you run OpenX Source do not update PHP to 5.4.x

Funny you should mention this (only just noticed the post). I was about to upgrade to PHP 5.4 on my ad server and not been able to find any references or information about 5.4 support on Open X. They stopped updating OpenX some time ago.

I better not try doing that then… was afraid this would happen sooner or later, stuck until I can find a replacement for OpenX now.

Why did they stop development on OpenX? It’s a great product for large scale ad serving.

Thanks for the warning.

They got sold to a company who are greedy and figured they can do what Google does. Basically they now offer a free version where they connect up publishers (people showing the ads) and advertisers (advert buyers) and taking a cut or commission. They also offer a fully hosted Enterprise version which they charge a massive amount of money for, simply not viable for anyone other than major companies/sites. Essentially they now only update those two versions which are different from the original Open X which they just abandoned.

In short, why? They want lots of money.

I was only using it for its rotation and click-through tracking, not selling ads, so my life was made easier. Took me about 3-4 days to get all the basic functionality working with Yii framework including stuffing the banner info from OpenX into a new database and copying the files over, connect script and tracking is in place. Though I still don’t have an admin interface all the client-side was pretty easy to get working (and hey phpMyAdmin is pretty easy to live with :D).
The upside is now it’s all on OOP/MVC so it’s much more modern and a lot shorter, I think there’s around around 7500 or so lines of code in my app at this point, the delivery code alone in openX is something like 75K lines. Finding a solution is pretty imp because now that PHP 5.4 is out and into its fifth iteration PHP 5.3’s days are numbered - notice where the example timeline for it ends @ https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess. And fwiw, PHP 5.4 makes a big performance boost in Wordpress at least.