I need a lawyer with adult web experience

I need some standard adult website legal materials… Terms of Use, Privacy, Spam statements, model release, 2257 compliance terminology, etc.

If you know of a good reasonably priced attorney (preferably in the USA) who can help with this please respond here or PM me.

Thanks!

Re: I need a lawyer with adult web experience

have you talked to ChadKnowsLaw from this very board?

i also suggest you talk to larry walters. he may or may not be your opinion of reasonably priced, but he’s a good attorney who really knows the adult biz
http://www.firstamendment.com/

I’m kind of taken, sorry but thank you!!

Try contacting these guys:

http://swyerslaw.com/contactus.html

I’ve used them several times for copyright and trademark issues. They also do terms etc. Ignore the somewhat basic website, they are very good.

If your a member of the FSC Jeffrey Douglas may be of some assistance to you. Not sure. He’s really good!

Just an update if anyone cares. I’m leaning towards using Michael Fattorosi. He seems to be highly recommended on some other adult biz boards. Anyone here know him?

Why don’t you just copy/paste from the biggest? Change the names.

[QUOTE=msm;85975]I need some standard adult website legal materials… Terms of Use, Privacy, Spam statements, model release, 2257 compliance terminology, etc.

If you know of a good reasonably priced attorney (preferably in the USA) who can help with this please respond here or PM me.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Be careful about what you hear on “other adult biz boards.” Personally, I wouldn’t choose an attorney based on what the boards say. If you are going to hire an attorney, you might as well hire someone you can build a relationship with–someone who you can trust enough to call if you ever have problems–not just someone for this one little job. You can do some basic research for yourself. Who do the most successful companies (your size) use? Which attorneys have had recent successes in court or out of court? How impressive is the attorney’s client list? What do the clients have to say?

I used the FSC’s legal referral service, and I found an attorney that I was really happy with.

Did you speak to the one I recommended, they specialize in copyright, domains and trademarks. They successfully protected my trademarks and taken down sites for using my brand.

Why don’t you just copy/paste from the biggest? Change the names.

Forgive me if I’m not understanding this properly, but does this post suggest using, “the biggest” meaning another companies hard work or paid text, “Changing the names” to make it look a little different, then use it as their own?

that’s completely illegal. the biggest - and many who are not the biggest - often have their legal text written exclusvely for them, not copy/pasted, so it’s intellectual property theft that’s very easy to catch.

This is correct. Also be careful of reviews that are just too glowing. The true test of any service provider is how they performed under pressure, not just easy stuff.
For a service provider like an attorney, ask if you got up-front quotes or vague estimates and hourly rates requiring an up-front retainer. My policy has been to provide up-front quotes (not estimates) and payment upon completion.
Were projects completed when promised?
Have there been any surprises?

[QUOTE=isis;87433]Be careful about what you hear on “other adult biz boards.” Personally, I wouldn’t choose an attorney based on what the boards say. If you are going to hire an attorney, you might as well hire someone you can build a relationship with–someone who you can trust enough to call if you ever have problems–not just someone for this one little job. You can do some basic research for yourself. Who do the most successful companies (your size) use? Which attorneys have had recent successes in court or out of court? How impressive is the attorney’s client list? What do the clients have to say?

I used the FSC’s legal referral service, and I found an attorney that I was really happy with.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity since you don’t have anything in your sig, may I ask what you do in this business?

For a service provider like an attorney, ask if you got up-front quotes or vague estimates and hourly rates requiring an up-front retainer. My policy has been to provide up-front quotes (not estimates) and payment upon completion.

I contacted several of the “big” names in the adult legal biz and was surprised that most did exactly what Chad said… proposed high retainers and vague estimates at how many hours it would take. Now I’m no lawyer so maybe I’m missing something but it just seems to me that writing up a Terms of Use, Privacy, Spam and 2257 statement is fairly boiler plate type of work… just review the site, make some changes that are specific to the site and the state they are in and that’s it. I don’t see why I need to pay a huge retainer for this kind of work, but again, maybe I’m missing something.

Mr. Fattorosi was one of the only lawyers to offer a reasonable flat rate for the docs I need. And as for choosing him based on comments from other people on boards, I’d say that the comments led me to him but the tone of his responses to my questions is what sold me on him.

Having said all that, I’ll try the FSC referral service also to get a few more quotes.