How to filter gay and straight sitewide on wordpress

I have been trying to figure out how to have a global sitewide filter between gay and straight content on a wordpress site I want to make soon. I have looked everywhere for a plugin but no luck.

I see most sites that do this have all their main content on normal domain and alternate content on a subdirectory like this

yoursite.com
yoursite.com/gay
yoursite.com/trans

once the user clicks their desiired orientation it is remembered as they browse further to like

yoursite.com/gay/categories
yoursite.com/gay/the-post

etc etc

HOW CAN i DO THIS???

Isn’t that’s the same thing as just having gay / straight as a category then followed by sub-categories. The only thing that won’t be organized under gay/straight is the individual post pages but that shouldn’t matter:

yoursite.com
yoursite.com/gay/sub-category/
yoursite.com/trans/sub-category/
yoursite.com/the-post/

Probably easier solution than using a plugin.

Not quite the same thing. I want my visitors to never see what they don’t want to see. Just dividing things using categpry tree isn’t going to achieve the result I am looking for. And everyone knows what I am taking about on those sites, if your straight you never see gay shit or if your gay once you click the thing you never see any pussy lol.

With Wordpress that might be quite difficult, you’re more or less talking about having two separate databases. But yeah maybe there is a plugin.

You can do it using categories and have the audience not see what they don’t want to see, but that’s going to mean adding 10 or 20 plugins to specify all kinds of things from landing pages to widgets and menus, and then probably doing it all again for mobile, and it would probably require some coding, too.

The easiest solution for what you want is probably just to install WP twice, creating a subdomain for each one.

It’ll be a pain in the ass to have to log out/log in to update each one independently, but it shouldn’t have any impact on SEO, and it will create the absolute firewall between content you’re looking for.

It’s also going to be far easier to control things like ad placement, newsletter signups and cookies etc.

1 Like

Not a ready solution, but I think this is a simple way to split your content.

You could create category templates that only display posts from a specific category (or categories). Additionally, you can use child-categories for navigation inside a main category.

Below is an example, but you can of course tweak it to your liking.

<?php
$paged = (get_query_var( 'paged' )) ? get_query_var( 'paged' ) : 1;
$args = array(
    'post_type' => 'post',
    'post_status' => 'publish',
    'cat' => '1',
    'posts_per_page' => 5,
    'paged' => $paged,
);
$arr_posts = new WP_Query( $args );

if ( $arr_posts->have_posts() ) :

while ( $arr_posts->have_posts() ) :
        $arr_posts->the_post();
        ?>
        <article id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
            <?php
            if ( has_post_thumbnail() ) :
                the_post_thumbnail();
            endif;
            ?>
            <header class="entry-header">
                <h2 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>
            </header>
            <div class="entry-content">
                <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
                <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>">Read More</a>
            </div>
        </article>
        <?php
        endwhile;
        wp_pagenavi(
            array(
                'query' => $arr_posts,
            )
        );
    endif;
?>

With a plugin like “Widget Options” you can control individual widgets and display or hide them based on the categories and depending on the device that’s being used.