how should newbies get their feet wet?

over the years, i’ve seen a lot of newbs who either bite off more than they can chew or else get started with free hosting and resources that either take all their money/traffic with ads or make their job much harder. a lot of these newbs keep trying and trying, but because they got off to a start with so much to learn, they work a lot harder to grasp the basics of what they’re trying to do.

i tend to suggest that newbs start with a single blog. they can learn about working with content, niches, sponsors, updates and design, plus a little html but if they wait till each thing is done right, they don’t risk being blacklisted off tgps, link lists, etc. also it’s fairly easy to get advice and make a couple sales with a blog once it gets going, so there’s help and positive feedback.

how bout you? what do you recommend when someone you know or someone on a board says “i’d like to become an adult webmaster”?

Re: how should newbies get their feet wet?

Id also vote for blog. Blogs will teach you about writing text, choosing decent content, a bit of seo, it will link you wilth other webmasters because of link trades and its easier because wordpress does loads of it for you.

yea either blogs or if they have someone watching them a bit and steering them clear of the biggest no no, i would go for free sites or AVS sites…

What is this “biggest no no” you write of?

I would say that the biggest no no is content theft. Alot of newbs do it. Why, I have no idea. It costs nothing to use sponsor content and you can make nice sales to the sponsor, so everyone is happy. No need to steal content, even if you are broke. Just sign up with a nice sponsor and follow their rules and they will be happy.

i’m assuming we’re not talking about content theft.

for freesites, avs sites and galleries, i would say the big no-no is not reading and following the rules for the sites they post at.

for paysites, it’s not learning about paysites before creating one.

blogs are a good & inexpensive way to start out as a newb these days. TGP galleries and freesite building would be good runner up options.

blogs all the way :slight_smile:

Used to be avs but now blogs are the best way to start.

I agree with many of the other posters here. If I could start over I would focus on one or two blogs and forget the whole TGP side of things.

A total newb IMO should start with the traditional freesite, as they are / were like mini websites, lots to learn there that can be applied to the real thing if you like… Blogs are a way forward yes, but all depending on what the newb wants to learn exactly… There is 1000’s of plugins that make the job easier but if you don’t understand what they do then they can fuck you up…

It’s a bit like driving a car around, piss easy once somebody shows you the controls and you get the hang of that… But what happens when the car fucks up in the middle of nowhere and you know jack shit about how it works? … then you have to rely on another party to pull you out the shit! …

To me you have to at least learn the very basics of how the machine works (in this case html / php) before you can set off on a journey with it !

Therefore galleries and freesites, gets your hands dirty so to speak, even if you don’t master it at least you will know some basics…

As for anyone asking me if I would recommend to them starting off as an adult webmaster I would simply say NO …

It is a religion within itself that you have to stay faithful to or your just not going to get to heaven…

Neither agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, thats just my thoughts :wink: