How much bandwidth per visit on a tube site?

I know I’m completely late to the game, but I’m just now launching a tube site. Still working out the final kinks and having some of my forum users try it out…

I’m wondering how much bandwidth will be consumed per visit or user? Or if you know metrics of XX users or visits per Mbps of bandwidth - that would answer the question as well.

I know part of it depends on how things are set up. I’m using Mechbunny + Wowza for streaming. Videos are H.264.

Re: How much bandwidth per visit on a tube site?

So what are you trying to stream? You own videos? Because most sponsors have hosted videos…and then it’s their bandwidth. Tube visitor doesn’t care.

If you’re planning on hosting your own, on the other hand, make sure you get pseudostreaming module for Apache or better still go for nginx with mp4 compiled in. Pseudostreaming uses a lot less real bandwidth for channel surfing types and also loads faster.

Rough average for me using streaming MP4 videos through Wowza Media server: 0.0024 Mbps / user (per day).

I get that by taking my total Mbps (bandwidth) usage per day divided by total amount of visitors.

Biggest impact on lowering bandwidth usage for me was switching from Flash to MP4. Going from Flash player to Flowplayer increased it slightly though. However I use a extremely efficient CMS and static HTML pages which means I can probably run a much larger amount of users on a single server than any other tube site. Which means I save a bit on server costs.

A fair amount of amateur stuff from my Breeding Zone members, but also sponsor videos. I’ve got a 4-5 min minimum on the sponsor videos - and often the sponsors only host the short clips, not the long ones.

I’m using Wowza. I’m already doing real streaming - pseudostreaming would be a step backwards…

[QUOTE=gaydemon;122793]Rough average for me using streaming MP4 videos through Wowza Media server: 0.0024 Mbps / user (per day).

I get that by taking my total Mbps (bandwidth) usage per day divided by total amount of visitors.

Biggest impact on lowering bandwidth usage for me was switching from Flash to MP4. Going from Flash player to Flowplayer increased it slightly though. However I use a extremely efficient CMS and static HTML pages which means I can probably run a much larger amount of users on a single server than any other tube site. Which means I save a bit on server costs.[/QUOTE]

So about 400 users/visits per Mbps… That’s helpful. My videos are often longer than yours, so maybe I won’t be quite so efficient.

I don’t use streaming and I need about 1Mbps per 100 users.

Someone’s numbers are off someplace here… As RandomPlayer stated I don’t host my own videos either and with 100 users on the site I’m usually right around 750Kbps and that’s the light stuff (HTML and Thumbnails).

Sincerely,
Kevin.

[QUOTE=mountequinox;122868]Someone’s numbers are off someplace here… As RandomPlayer stated I don’t host my own videos either and with 100 users on the site I’m usually right around 750Kbps and that’s the light stuff (HTML and Thumbnails).

Sincerely,
Kevin.[/QUOTE]

Not sure we’re talking about the same measurements.

[QUOTE=rawTOP;122829]A fair amount of amateur stuff from my Breeding Zone members, but also sponsor videos. I’ve got a 4-5 min minimum on the sponsor videos - and often the sponsors only host the short clips, not the long ones.

I’m using Wowza. I’m already doing real streaming - pseudostreaming would be a step backwards…

So about 400 users/visits per Mbps… That’s helpful. My videos are often longer than yours, so maybe I won’t be quite so efficient.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s correct, 400 users/visits per Mbps.

And yes, you probably would have slightly higher usage, most of the videos I host are below 4-5mins.