How Many is Too Many?

Sponsors that is.

I mean as an affiliate, how many sponsors do you actively promote, or maybe a better question is how many do you think should be promoted on an average affiliate type site?

Do you say have a bear site, and promote how many bear sponsors? Or a twink site, how many do you push in one site, before they just all get lost in the shuffle?

Or do you just swap em out as you go, keeping only the one’s that produce?

Re: How Many is Too Many?

I think the numbers depend a bit on the type of site and the depth and amount of content is has but usually I would say there is no maximum if you have enough traffic and enough fitting paysites to promote.

I’m actively promoting about 80 affiliate programs from my hunk/muscle sites only and I’m still adding new ones when I think they fit into my site type and niche. I can see quite fast if my surfers like it by using ad management tools such as open X to track click ratios.

That said I’m focussing on only a few ones which I promote more heavily. These are about 10 sponsors which are the most profitable obviously. They also work best with the taste of my surfers.
Nevertheless there are always surfers looking for some other type of paysite or who have seen all the main sponsors already. They buy something else every now and then so it makes sense offer them some more options to pull their CC.
What I do everytime the figures are big enough to draw some conclusions is to sort out the worst sponsors and to add some new ones to see how they will perform.

So my conclusion would be that there’s no fixed maximum as long as your surfers like (and buy) the stuff you offer them. Nevertheless you should focus on your best performing sponsors with additional effort.

You should not have a max number of sponsors, that thought process immediately tunnels you, which in turn causes you to miss out on opportunities.

Does it tunnel you, or maybe if you have less, you can devote more time into really promoting them well, boosting sales more?

Mind you I do agree, in this instance, more would be better.

i don’t think there’s a limit.

some str8 review sites have over 3000 sites listed - the more reviews they have, the more search engine hits and bookmarkers they get. and link lists could have thousands of sponsors’ sites listed, also. i’ve talked to bloggers who use 7 to 14 sponsors for a niche blog, but my site gets sales from bloggers who list over 30 sites in a niche.

on the other hand, a single 30 to 50 picture freesite often promotes a single sponsor - ditto some feeder avs sites and galleries.