Hot-linking on a blog network, yes or no?

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone has any opinions on hot-linking images in a blog network?

I’m working on a network with a friend of mine, with one primary domain and each niche blog on a sub.
My friend wants to make the posting process easier, and utilize the primary domain more by creating all posts on the main blog and then copying the HTML, pasting it into the relevant niche blogs and rewriting the text.

It would certainly make use of the primary domain, which we have been looking at and wondering what to do with for a while now. We were considering adding feeds from all the niche blogs to it, but didn’t want to risk the primary domain being affected by the duplicate/RSS issues.

Using this method, all images and video would be fed to each blog from the primary domain. It would save us from uploading images to each individual blog, and save time on editing for links. All we’d need to do is rewrite the copy for each blog and schedule for publishing.

So what do you guys think? Is it a viable method and can you think of any good/bad points?

Thanks!

Re: Hot-linking on a blog network, yes or no?

Not really sure what it is you are asking. Myself, I am moving to where I use the videos i upload on one domain, for use on my other domains, and centralizing the banner locations as well. Am very slowly moving to that end with the pictures as well, so that I only have one image, one instance of the video, one instance of the banners, to minimize upload time, and storage. So far, it seems to work out okay, but is a bit of a royal pain, to keep track of. My htaccess file lists the sites that can link to it, limiting others. Makes it rather easier for me, in the long run. Setting it up sucks though.

if any of that made sense. lol

That is basically what I mean, yeah.
My buddy wants to create all the posts and upload all media to a central blog on the primary domain, publish that, then copy/paste the html of that post (including all the image location url’s and affiliate links) then paste them into each relevant blog on the sub-domains. We would re-write to prevent duplicate content problems.

And I follow you up until htaccess. lol

Is this the same process as preventing hot-linking so that only specified sites can use content? In which case I plan to look into this and implement limitations. I believe there is a way to do it directly through cpanel rather than adapting htaccess files.

The only problem I can envision at the moment is that referral codes will be the same across the blogs, meaning that I can’t track which blogs are converting more than others.

htaccess limits which domain can access the images, videos, etc. I use it, because I spread the stuff around. I have one domain for the videos, so I need to allow for other domains ( of mine ) to be able to pull them. The players are on each domain. Same goes for images, etc.

Easy solution, considering you are ‘adding’ the links on each niche blog, use a plugin jump script, for that blog. That will then track how many clicks each blog is sending. Using a different ‘campaign’ for each blog, will also give you the blog it came from. A simple jump script could then be used, for the entire domain. Just add the right code with the right campaign, etc.

If you’re only reusing images you should be fine. Just don’t expect to gain any Google Image traffic on the niche blogs that’s hotlinking images.

Good points guys.
I’ll have to look into the jump script, I wouldn’t know where to start with that. I suppose I could just add the relevant links manually for each blog anyway, at least we’ve removed the need for all that image uploading and renaming, and made use of the primary domain. I’ll have a think about that one.

I guess we could get around the Google image issue by adding a link to each relevant blog in the post on the primary domain. At least then we can drive image traffic from the main hub to each blog. We were planning to link each post on there as “See more uncut guys at…”

Well the jump script is actually quite easy to set up. Pocoloco had one he uses, and if you use campaigns, it’d be a snap to use. Doesn’t count clicks, but it does a good job, if u use different campaigns for the different blogs. You can add as many links to the one page, as you want.