Hosting horrors

Hi All

Today the sites came under a UPD reflection attack AND a brute force attack on some logins. Naturally, the sites are crippled, barely functioning.

What blew my mind though was when I contacted support at CC they told me that because the attacks are not over 1.5GB, there is nothing they can do about the situation, except do a null route our IP address.

Is this a common attitude with hosts nowadays?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to where we might relocate our sites? I’m not sure I want to stay in a situation like this where we are paying for hosting but then have no support for a situation like this when it arises.

We’ve a very low gig transfer per month as all of our heavy content is hosted and served by the folks we lease content from.

Feedback much appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Re: Hosting horrors

I’ve used isprime.com and nationalnet.com in the past and both companies were great. Most of the time NationalNet would already be dealing with attacks on my site(s) before I could even submit a ticket that something was wrong.

filthydonkey.com is someone new I’ve met recently and they seem pretty good and they’re really flexible with their pricing it seems. So worth talking to Brian to see what he could do.

Hope it helps in someway! :slight_smile:

I’m very happy with Mojohost. Not only are they always helpful, they’re extremely knowledgeable, fast and friendly.

Soft layer is who we use.

wow, that really sucks!

we’ve been with icertified.net for years and are happy there, but there are lots of great hosts around. even some hosts in the past we had bad experiences with wouldn’t have left you hanging in this situation. good luck finding a new host!

Thank you all for the suggestions!

X

DK

I’ve changed hosts several times over the last few years, part of the problem is many host get bought out along the way, things change i.e. staffing, etc. I’ve had good reliable hosts in the past and in addition to up time and stability, sound support is very important.

All my property are pretty mid-level at this point, and in most cases I can fix issues as they arise. The last host I had didn’t even make the 6 month initial period as they dropped the ball on my webmail and left it hang for a over a week, I was out. My current host so far is good, however the tech support is not a high as my previous experiences, haven’t made the first six month period with them yet but have had no major issues, which is a good sign.

As to the referrals here, I’ve heard good things on boards about Nationalnet, and I know the good folks at Mojohost and I know they are sound.