Holy crap - Environmental News - Not Good!

I am ashamed to be part of the human race… :bad:

From the article: “Half the animals of planet Earth have disappeared since 1970, and much of it is the fault of humans.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Seriously…with no regard for the planet and the population of humans just getting larger and larger I am kinda glad that I am living at this time in human history because the future doesn’t look that nice for planet earth…at least until our parasitic species is finally gone.

Re: Holy crap - Environmental News - Not Good!

Meanwhile humans have nearly doubled in numbers (up 85% since 1970).

Another mainstream article that fails to address the #1 source of human caused climate change: Animal agriculture.

Well, the article was not really about that specifically of course. Animal agriculture exists to support the demands of humans for food…the land is transformed from bio diverse environments that can support a variety of animals in a ecosystem to one species used as a food source. The article is simply stating that we are killing the population of the planet off so our own parasitic species can continue to grow in out of control numbers.

If you want to point out something that the article did not address it is the role of religion in this mess by placing man over all other animal species…making our species “special” and justifying the destruction of all others…including habitat for more agriculture and housing for more “special” humans.

Sickens me and what we need is a good old pandemic to put things back in balance. Looks like we might have one on the horizon too.

Or, you can quit the self-flagellation and not substitute one religion with another. Can you imagine being young today? It’s a constant drumbeat - disaster is imminent, pandemics are imminent, everyone’s going to die miserably. It’ll all end in tears.

And nobody even questions this. If the freshwater fish population actually has decreased by 76% since 1970 — wouldn’t that effect the market price of fish? 76%! What does this mean for someone who’s buying a can of tuna?

What would happen if in your city, if 76% of houses and apartments vanished, and the same number of people still had to rent somewhere to live? I think it would be obvious. Or if 76% of the oil supply dried up - the we’d notice a change in its price.

I’m not suggesting that things are not changing. But change does not automatically equal doom. There are lots and lots of variables.

Stop fishing for the worst outcome, and ask some simple questions. This is like Piketty’s famed book on inequality published this year — he’s applauded as a hero for the simple fact of writing bad news, even though his data turned out to be wrong. Studies aren’t Bibles handed down from the mountaintop. Science requires scrutiny.

Steve

The destruction of habitat for these species to utilize the land for human needs is the cause. Clearly things are NOT getting better. You can NOT bring back a species that we wipe out. You can NOT rebuild coral reefs that take 100000 years to grow and evolve. You can NOT recreate the delicate balance of a rain-forest once you have clear cut a certain percentage of it.

None of those things are stopping and they are having an effect and only getting worse. That is the point. A percentage off here or there is not.

And yes, it I was young today I would certainly not be optimistic at all…I am old and not optimistic simply because I have seen these changes and if I can notice in my lifetime all of these negative effects then in 100 years unchecked this planet will be a very sad place to live on.

So… I guess my question about why if animals and freshwater fish have disappeared 50 to 75% per this report wouldn’t it correspond to more visible scarcity in the food supply ???

A more complete answer might be that the loss of habitat is happening more in poor and third world countries, not in the US. Either way, you are pronouncing humanity as damned for all time, which is peculiar behavior for someone who simultaneously criticizes religion.

Steve

Not necessarily…for example, you have to keep in mind the huge bio-diversity of the rain-forest areas…this is where the majority of species are found. It is a very small part of the earth yet contains most of the species and is therefore, most easily effected although it might not be seen immediately.

The vast majority of the extinctions are in the equatorial regions therefore.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/places/amazon

[QUOTE=desslock;153203]So… I guess my question about why if animals and freshwater fish have disappeared 50 to 75% per this report wouldn’t it correspond to more visible scarcity in the food supply ???

A more complete answer might be that the loss of habitat is happening more in poor and third world countries, not in the US. Either way, you are pronouncing humanity as damned for all time, which is peculiar behavior for someone who simultaneously criticizes religion.

Steve[/QUOTE]

No, it’s because of the food demand they have disappeared. Also Farmed fish has gone up massively in the last 20 years which again has contributed to kill of wild fish and pollute the seas, so while wild caught supply is down, farmed supply is up.

Don’t be fooled by our current state of equilibrium, we will in our lifetime face food shortages and worse. The only way we can survive is if a majority of the population die. Check out the Gaia theory and you can get some ideas of what is yet to come.