Good Cheap Backup Program

Hey Everyone.

So now that I got a network drive, a couple of externals, I need to find me a good back up program, that will do incremental backups of changed files. I seem to have quite a lot.

The one that came with the stupid network drive is a trial copy and it really doesn’t give me the choice for incremental updates. Neither does the one that came with our Seagate or Lacie drives.

So any recommendations, suggestions? Free is nice too whistle

Re: Good Cheap Backup Program

the best option is a external Hard drive in RAID 1 (mirror)
so, is not necessary backups and all data is stored in 2 HD at the same time :wink:

but if you need a software with incremental updates try Acronis True Image
www.acronis.com

We use EMC Retrospect. I think Tony and Cam do also. There’s a version that’s pretty cheap ($50) that is really high end in terms of features and flexibility.

I used Genie, you can find it here:

http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbmpro/us/default.html

It lets you set up schedules for as many different back-ups as you want, so I have each one of my sites backing up at different times. The ones I work on daily, back up daily, the others once a week, and some once a month.

Genie lets you back up with or without compression, and it’ll do mirrored, incremental, and a couple of other types.

It’s a great piece of software.

Michael

When you have daily backups how many of the old daily backups do you keep? Or do you rewrite over the previous days data?

[quote=dzinerbear;24891]I used Genie, you can find it here:

http://www.genie-soft.com/products/gbmpro/us/default.html

It lets you set up schedules for as many different back-ups as you want, so I have each one of my sites backing up at different times. The ones I work on daily, back up daily, the others once a week, and some once a month.

Genie lets you back up with or without compression, and it’ll do mirrored, incremental, and a couple of other types.

It’s a great piece of software.

Michael[/quote]

I re-write over the daily back ups.

Michael

for mac osx - time machine rules - however, its space intensive so… it pays to have a bunch of tera-b’s plugged in - actually, the system demands it

not cheap but about the easiest thing to use - we were using retrospect but not any longer - I think it was only $75 or so and the externals are running about 175 at the apple store - although I have a bunch of drives built in - good news is that we did use it for a long while so it payed for itself many times over

I honestly don’t have any more outlets - good news, we’re soon soaking up the sun here at the beach to run all this shit - I’ll let you know if I get fried plugging everything in

What’s wrong with the backup feature in windows? We do incremental backups with it every morning and monthly backups.

Jimmy

If you’re doing backups to some other media (tape, external drives, DVDs, etc), and you want to have a really robust backup procedure, you rotate backups.

If you do full backups each day, then you have 7 tapes and use one for each day of the week, and overwrite the oldest tape each day. If you want to be really, really robust, you save the 7th day tape and overwrite it every month or 3 months or whatever.

But it really depends on how much your data changes and what sort of data it is… if you don’t make a lot of changes from one day to the next, you can do a weekly or monthly full backup and then back up only the daily incremental changes that have occurred since the last backup. It will take longer to restore if there’s ever a problem, but it will also take a lot less media.

[quote=Nicedreams;24914]What’s wrong with the backup feature in windows? We do incremental backups with it every morning and monthly backups.

Jimmy[/quote]

My main machine is XP Home, and no windows backup feature I can find on it. The vista machines do, which would be okay, except its what on the blasted XP I need to secure the most. :bang:

Its on the install disc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894

Jimmy

[quote=Nicedreams;24936]Its on the install disc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894

Jimmy[/quote]

Thanks Jimmy, that’s a big help. Appreciate the link too. :cool: