FYI - SocialGo is the new NING

I’m seeing a bunch of NING sites moving to SocialGo. So in the endless game of whack-a-mole, that’s now the new problem site…

Re: FYI - SocialGo is the new NING

I saw a first one of those a couple of days ago, exactly my thought. Its just moving from one to another. Looks almost identical in the way they work.

Yes, but are they going to protect pirates like Ning or are they willing to work with us? Ning had a lot of great sites with user generated content, such as fetish sites with members looking to hook up with each other or show off on their own webcams in various types of gear. It’s a shame they got caught up in the crap that went on between Ning and our industry. I’ve seen some of those sites moving over to SociaGo. It would be nice to see a company that protects that type of site while calling out the people who only use those sites for content piracy. If not, we’ll just have to shut these guys down as well.

We just spoke with the lawyers for Ning regarding another case and they mentioned to us that everyone seems to be moving their groups to SocialGo. So, it does in fact look like this is the new one we have to target!

I know what you mean. I saw one or two quite good personal ning sites fetish related like you said. Those were great. Unfortunatley they sort of gets lost amongst all the bad ones.

I’ll try them out. I think that’s possible making good money with the proper amount of content.

Socialgo will not do FREE adult social networks! They are requiring adult networks to be “white label” products which means they have to have a registered domain and they get charged hosting and bandwidth charges.

Here is a quote direct from Socialgo:
http://www.socialgo.com/help/topic.php?id=http://api.getsatisfaction.com/topics/276467

“It is clear to anyone with their eyes open that this is the mistake the NING and all the other sites have made. They thought that they could give away the milk for free to anyone who came along. What they didn’t count on was the fact that it only takes one bad apple out of a hundred to TAKE THEM DOWN with misuse or abuse of their bandwidth, storage, content, or customer service. Unfortunately for Ning, they did not plan for this in advance, and it has now cost all of their QUALITY CUSTOMERS greatly in lost time, effort, changes of TOS, or worse. You CANNOT MONETIZE ADULT SITES with Google Adsense. This is a fact.

Our job working with SocialGO is to advise them as to how to provide the BEST SERVICE AND PRODUCT possible, while helping them steer clear of people and issues that will cause them to crash the ship on the iceberg like Ning or others before them. WidgetLaboratory has advised them that payment of a reasonable monthly service fee (by a registered site owner) IS THE FILTER that will help to make it possible for all other adult sites to operate in a mainstream environment. IF you do not wish to pay a reasonable monthly fee for a reasonable adult network solution, then you are NOT the type of customer that should be using SocialGO.”

That’s great news. The people running the sites are going to get a rude awakening when they have to pay the bills for their bandwidth, not to mention that they’ll be traceable for prosecution. Even though those comments were made 2 weeks ago, I don’t think any of the guys moving to SocialGo realizes things are going to change on them in the near future. It’s sorta funny actually…

A few are starting up their own sites instead, but they’ll face the same issues of cost and disclosure. They’re just slightly more likely to have thought through the issues…

Socialgo is basically saying the same thing as Ning…they can’t make money with free adult. Especially when most of it is pirated content!

In case you guys have not seen this article here’s the link…

http://www.xbiz.com/articles/102855

Talks about our concerns of where things are headed…

Bloody finally someone is saying it… Free tubes / video sharing does not make money. It unbelievable that people hasnt understood or realize this until now. I mean its common sense really…

But I dont quite understand how this new socialgo will or intend to make money on it. Through the charges for bandwidth? Ads?

[QUOTE=gaydemon;31702]Bloody finally someone is saying it… Free tubes / video sharing does not make money. It unbelievable that people hasnt understood or realize this until now. I mean its common sense really…

But I dont quite understand how this new socialgo will or intend to make money on it. Through the charges for bandwidth? Ads?[/QUOTE]

For non-adult networks they are placing Google Adwords on the networks. You get a free social network, they get the ad revenue.

For adult networks they will charge their “white label” product fees and hosting/bandwidth fees. Since they can’t place Google Adwords around adult content they have to charge the adult networks for hosting/bandwidth. Adult CPM ad rates are not enough to cover the costs and make money, so they have to charge for hosting/bandwidth.